Pontiac GTO Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
bumper rechrome

The best place i have ever used for the bumpers to be rechromed is www.tricityplating.com

they are awesome and they fix bent bumpers rusted out bumpers whichever and they do great work never had a problem with them.I have had 9 sets of bumpers done by them and i would recommend them to anyone if you need rechrome.

Goat looks nice rukee good job and you can see it isnt just load and spray takes some time and also if you do clear coat it remember it comes out heavy like syrup be careful.

kenny

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I think I might paint it again. When I got the car out into the sunlight, it was orange pealed pretty bad. So I wet sanded and buffed it out. Although it made the paint smooth and glassy, it also took most of the blue out and left the car a smokey silver color. It looks very cool, just different. I also shot the rear tail panel pretty light. Wet sanding and buffing I burned threw a bunch of spots, so I stripped all the chrome back off and I`ll have to reshoot it here one of these days. I was told I painted it too light and that caused the orange peal. I need help setting up the gun too, I had it kinda high pressure and low volume, it must need low pressure and high volume....or whatnot. maybe you can clue me in Showgoat67?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I just had a body guy over here and he said 1500.00 to mask, wet sand, base coat and clear coat. That includes the paint and materials. He`s thinking he`d have it done by monday night. I called the tow truck already, I didn`t think that price was too bad. I`d rather not screw it up again. ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
paint job

I just had a body guy over here and he said 1500.00 to mask, wet sand, base coat and clear coat. That includes the paint and materials. He`s thinking he`d have it done by monday night. I called the tow truck already, I didn`t think that price was too bad. I`d rather not screw it up again. ;)

Well you gave it a shot that is why people get the money they do to paint the car.You made the right decision let someone who paints finish the car it can be a real pain to have to go through it time and time again.And if you do it again try and paint on a junk fender to learn the gun and the pressures and the faning of the gun take practice.And such.There is more involved in painting then people realize for instance.

1.Gun setting
2.air pressure
3.reducer temp
4.prep work
5.Temperature of metal and car when you spray it
6.Speed your painting car going back and forth, and be right distance from car.
7. 60 %Overlap to get good solid coats.

And just being used to doing it i practiced on fenders and doors for months before i painted my first car.My buddy tried to do his car also and would not listen and he had so much orange peel you could of squeezed the car and made a glass of juice.:)

Well good luck on the gto

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Got the car back and it looks real good! Put all the chrome and stuff on and in and I sent the car off this morning to the upholstery shop to get the headliner, vinyl top, and front seats recovered. They are also going to put the front and rear glass back in after the headliner goes in. Wish it was more sunny out today, the metal flake really sparkles in direct light, kinda gloomy out today. I don`t think it looks too bad though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well good for you as long as your happy with the outcome then that is all that matters.Go have fun with the car that is the whole reason to have it.I bet your glad though that you had someone take care of the paint now one less worry on you for finishing car.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
64 Gto

Hi all,

I am looking into a 64 GTO but could use some advice if the car is worth 36000.
The website is www.pjsautoworld.com
Once there, click on 60's car and scroll down a little to a bright red GTO. Hey, if one of you get it first, then I've done some good here...LOL.
but any suggestions are appreciated.

Frank

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ask if any restoration work has been done and pics of the PHS documentation so you can check it against options on the car. Also you want to know if everything works (i.e horn, gauges). Check the price against others listed in Hemmings.com and Ebay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well you gave it a shot that is why people get the money they do to paint the car.You made the right decision let someone who paints finish the car it can be a real pain to have to go through it time and time again.And if you do it again try and paint on a junk fender to learn the gun and the pressures and the faning of the gun take practice.And such.There is more involved in painting then people realize for instance.

1.Gun setting
2.air pressure
3.reducer temp
4.prep work
5.Temperature of metal and car when you spray it
6.Speed your painting car going back and forth, and be right distance from car.
7. 60 %Overlap to get good solid coats.

And just being used to doing it i practiced on fenders and doors for months before i painted my first car.My buddy tried to do his car also and would not listen and he had so much orange peel you could of squeezed the car and made a glass of juice.:)

Well good luck on the gto
I'd rather have ten runs than any orange peel. I'll stick to sprayin hot and heavy :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
trunk floor replacement

I used a three piece trunk floor all three pieces were very easy to adjust together and fit correctly going up the hump. I used weld through primer and drilled holes through panels then used Cleco fasteners to hold everything together and welded up each hole this gave me great penetration and minimal grinding of welds. Make sure you remove all the oil off those new panels before paint also where are the trunk support brackets I don't see them in your photo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Trunk Pan Replacement

Hi Rukee,
I was reading your post on trunk and floor pan replacements. In my 65, someone before me, mig'ed in a 3 piece trunk pan and extensions and they are all misaligned. :banghead:
I am going to cut them out and start over. What pan did you use? one piece? or 3 piece? You mention welding it in place and sealing it. Did you mig in the whole thing or use one of the new body panel adhesives or just sealer. I always though you needed to weld all the seams to each other.

Thanks,

Kevin

61 - 78 of 78 Posts