Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find a replacement panel. I am looking for the back most part of the trunk pan. See picture below, the circled part in red is what I am looking for. Apparently at one point in time by a previous owner two sections 6x6 on each side where cut out and a replacement "patch" was riveted back in and then swashed with bondo to patch it up.

Was this spot a problem spot for rust. My car was a southwest car its entire life. Would any patching have to had been done to repair something in that area. There is one on each side. I have thought about just customizing a patch piece to match. I haven't had the trunk blasted yet to see the damage to extent but it looks pretty sound minus the horrendous patch work. The one aftermarket sheet metal I have found is a full trunk replacement panel that is about $600.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
At some time someone could not get to the upper shock bolts underneath so they cut a hole to get a wrench on them.Common practice on older GM cars.........JB.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I haven't been able to find a replacement panel. I am looking for the back most part of the trunk pan. See picture below, the circled part in red is what I am looking for. Apparently at one point in time by a previous owner two sections 6x6 on each side where cut out and a replacement "patch" was riveted back in and then swashed with bondo to patch it up.

Was this spot a problem spot for rust. My car was a southwest car its entire life. Would any patching have to had been done to repair something in that area. There is one on each side. I have thought about just customizing a patch piece to match. I haven't had the trunk blasted yet to see the damage to extent but it looks pretty sound minus the horrendous patch work. The one aftermarket sheet metal I have found is a full trunk replacement panel that is about $600.
i had the same problem. nobody makes it. you either have to buy the full pan and trim out the piece you need or fabricate patches.
the best i could do is find one trunk pan that goes about 5 inches over the back hump. that wasnt enough for me so i will fabricate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If rest of the trunk is sound,cut an area to clean up the mess and weld a patch in it an dress it up with all-metal.Then skim coat it wit filler and splatter paint it......Done right nobody but you will even know :) JB.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
At some time someone could not get to the upper shock bolts underneath so they cut a hole to get a wrench on them.Common practice on older GM cars.........JB.
I had a 66 vert that had air shocks (1976)....they broke the shock towers (wheel hop) and came thru the same area ! I would cut the section out and make 1 large patch.....first I'd wait to see what the rest of the trunk looks like after blasting. Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts