Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying swap out my alternator with a new one but the bottom bolt is blocked by the ps pulley..i used an impact to get the ps bolt off but pulley still stuck. Is there a trick to remove the belt and pulley that im missing? Its a 69 400 motor..Once i get the pulley off i can easily removed the bottom alternator bolt..i really dont want to take it to a shop when i always been able to swap out my own alternator..what am i missing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Im trying swap out my alternator with a new one but the bottom bolt is blocked by the ps pulley..i used an impact to get the ps bolt off but pulley still stuck. Is there a trick to remove the belt and pulley that im missing? Its a 69 400 motor..Once i get the pulley off i can easily removed the bottom alternator bolt..i really dont want to take it to a shop when i always been able to swap out my own alternator..what am i missing?

Thanks
Sorry I don't recall exactly how I changed my alternator, but I am happy to go out to the garage and video later this morning.

If I remember correctly, the alternator is held on with two bolts - the upper should be easy to get to and the lower you will need a small closed wrench (ideally ratcheting). I don't recall removing the power steering pulley, but may have loosened the bracket so it could be moved out of the way to get to the lower bolt. Good luck

·
Registered
4,316 Posts

Thanks
If I am reading this correctly, you are trying to pull off the power steering pump pulley to get at the lower ALT bolt?

Never needed to do this on any Pontiac and this is not how you access that bolt. You should have enough adjustment with the PS belt removed on the PS pump to swing it up/over to the side and out of the way. If you are trying to remove the ALT bolt while keeping the PS pump in place without loosing it up, then you are doing it wrong.

There should be a stud/nut on the back of the PS pump holding it to the bracket which needs to be loosened up. Then look at the front of the PS pump and either loosen or even remove the bolt that holds it to the front bracket. These are the same bolts you would normally loosen/tighten to adjust tension on the PS belt. Should give you plenty of room to them get at the ALT bolt. As I recall, with the PS pump moved over to its extreme position, the head of the ALT bolt comes extremely close to the PS pulley when you slide it out for ALT replacement. :thumbsup:

BTW: Some PS pulleys use a keyway and most are press fit. If you try to pry the pulley off, you may bend the pulley and then you will have issues with your belts. There is a special puller used to do this that will not damage the pulley.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are 3 bolts that have to be loosened to move PS pump out of the way. One on the back two on the front. Then pivot the pump all the way down to the right, this should allow the bottom alt. bolt to be removed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I am reading this correctly, you are trying to pull off the power steering pump pulley to get at the lower ALT bolt?

Never needed to do this on any Pontiac and this is not how you access that bolt. You should have enough adjustment with the PS belt removed on the PS pump to swing it up/over to the side and out of the way. If you are trying to remove the ALT bolt while keeping the PS pump in place without loosing it up, then you are doing it wrong.

There should be a stud/nut on the back of the PS pump holding it to the bracket which needs to be loosened up. Then look at the front of the PS pump and either loosen or even remove the bolt that holds it to the front bracket. These are the same bolts you would normally loosen/tighten to adjust tension on the PS belt. Should give you plenty of room to them get at the ALT bolt. As I recall, with the PS pump moved over to its extreme position, the head of the ALT bolt comes extremely close to the PS pulley when you slide it out for ALT replacement. :thumbsup:

BTW: Some PS pulleys use a keyway and most are press fit. If you try to pry the pulley off, you may bend the pulley and then you will have issues with your belts. There is a special puller used to do this that will not damage the pulley.
I did exactly what you explained and it worked and i got the alternator in. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts