Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1967 GTO
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what this part is, or if it's even original to my 67 gto. It appears to have been installed behind the passenger headlamp because there is a bracket there that lines up with the bolts. The wires are cut. Any insight would be appreciated. I've been googling and browsing parts catalogs without any luck thus far.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
drink 2 big glasses of water and wait 10 minutes

call your doctor and schedule a check up appointment

then ......

put 12volts to it and ground the black wire

dont drop it as,

it will spin, kinda fast and might throw a little dander ...

so keep your fingers clear,

then ..... you will know what its circular cooling function is under the hood ......

no other help now ...... from anybody ....

ok ?! its an easy test ....

Scott T

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
I have it, too. There should be a key in the driverside fender well, to activate the turbo... but since it's in your hand, just hook it to a battery and see if it still works.

·
Registered
1967 GTO
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
please report back tomorrow after bench testing the fan motor ....
it is a rare option .....
very few GTO's were produced with them ...
Right on Scott! Fingers crossed that it still works. I will most definitely report back...

I have it, too. There should be a key in the driverside fender well, to activate the turbo... but since it's in your hand, just hook it to a battery and see if it still works.
I'll dig around the driver side fender well later today.

Plus if you have dogs in the neighborhood they will let you know. Wear ear plugs
Too bad I didn't realize this prior to Friday. My neighbor's moved out, and anything to irritate the wife one last time would have been "A - OK" with me! No ear plugs, but I do have some noise cancelling headphones I can test out to see how well they really work.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll post up again when I'm back inside for the evening.

·
Registered
1967 GTO
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Came in to charge my phone, so figured I'd reply real quick to report that it still works. That's insane! 🚔 Good call on the ear protection, however I did eat a mouth full of dander. I'll check to see if there's any remaining wiring for it in the engine compartment. I'll clean it up a bit, and mount it back in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Here's a 68 with the same option.

DFBF5B7A-660F-4637-9C2E-89854D75BDDB_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
1967 GTO
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@O52 Thank you for the picture. Wish my engine bay was that clean! I'm going to hold off installing mine until after I get back on the road. I wonder if mine was mounted behind the passenger head lamp at the factory. I'll look if there are any mounting holes like pictured on that '68. Mine is painted red and blue, flaking, and looks horrible. I don't recognize that rectangle piece on the front side. I'll dig through the rest of my parts.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Not my car. Just a photo I pulled off eBay some time ago.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
Its not a factory part or option.
However, I do have the identical one in the same location, so I suspect that a specific Pontiac dealership, somewhere, was pushing them. Either that, or it's one Hell of a coincidence.

·
Registered
1967 GTO
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
However, I do have the identical one in the same location, so I suspect that a specific Pontiac dealership, somewhere, was pushing them. Either that, or it's one Hell of a coincidence.
I agree based on how the bracket was secured. My goat was built in Fremont, and purchased from Suburban Pontiac in Bellflower. Does yours also have a bell mounted next to it. I've got one, and it also has cut wires going to it. I can only imagine what that must sound like!

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
Lol... No, mine does not, but I guess whoever originally owned yours, lived in a questionable neighborhood. I'm surprised there's not a surveillance camera!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts