Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
This has been the story of my life, for several months now. I have a 67 with a TH400. The car is numbers matching and so it's a real hard decision, but I HATE auto's.

I've reviewed every option that there is... Muncie, TKO, and the new TKX. At the end of the day, I will go with the TKX, most likely.

To answer your question, I've not converted my GTO, yet. However, I own a welding shop, and I've done the conversion, several times, for other people.

At the end of the day, it boils down to money and originality, or both. If you have money and youre keeping your car, then the hardest part is placing the order!

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have seen YouTubes on it army, Just think it would make it a fun driver. There is a guy at I think grannis.com who has a part inventory. Besides the shifter any other mods to the transmission tunnel?

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
Yeah I have seen YouTubes on it army, Just think it would make it a fun driver. There is a guy at I think grannis.com who has a part inventory. Besides the shifter any other mods to the transmission tunnel?
With the TKO, you're actually cutting a good majority of the tunnel out, and then welding in a new one (which is what I've done a few times now, for customers), but it can be done in under two hours. With the TKX, supposedly, there's no modification to the floor, at all. And, since you can pick left, center, or right for the shifter location, you can (apparently) use the original auto console, without mods.

However, when I spoke to the companies about the conversion, they werent up to speed on a few things, so I was very skeptical. The TKX is too new to know yet.

Like I said, the wallet is the biggest issue... As I see it, the major considerations are:
  1. Console/ shifter compatibility
  2. Driveshaft length
  3. Linkage
And... as I mentioned, driveshaft length and linkage can both be cured with a wallet... So, the final hurdle is working the console.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently replaced my m13 3 speed with a 5 speed. Not much cutting and its the best mod I ever did.. Just a few points to mention. I had to cut the tunnel, not much but did have to do it after i was told i would just have to dimple it. There is a TKO 5 speed updated unit that promises to fit with zero mods to the tunnel..... ALSO - this is not a drag racing trans or shifter. The throws are long and slower than M21 / 22....

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
Yeah I figured 5K
If I hd it my way, I'd just do the Muncie M21... Problem is, people with the Muncies, somehow believe that thye're now worth three times as much as they are... so, a Muncie is now more expensive than a Tremec... unless you find a questionable one, and then you have to rebuild it... Plus, it's really inferior.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
72 Goat probably worth the investment. You either hate that year or love them
Funny that you mention that. I had a 72 in the late 80's, and I hated it and have ever since. But this year, I'm really falling in love with the Yellow 72 judges, so theyre finally growing on me.

As for the investment... I have a numbers matching 67, so removing the Hurst and TH400 would devalue it on the originality front, but increase its value on the manual front. I'm confident that a manual will increase the value, more than chopping it will decrease it. At the end of the day, I have no rare options, so I'll do it.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funny that you mention that. I had a 72 in the late 80's, and I hated it and have ever since. But this year, I'm really falling in love with the Yellow 72 judges, so theyre finally growing on me.

As for the investment... I have a numbers matching 67, so removing the Hurst and TH400 would devalue it on the originality front, but increase its value on the manual front. I'm confident that a manual will increase the value, more than chopping it will decrease it. At the end of the day, I have no rare options, so I'll do it.
Yeah I like the 67 Dad had one new. But army don’t buy a 72 judge,no such beast. Last year was 71

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
Yeah I like the 67 Dad had one new. But army don’t buy a 72 judge,no such beast. Last year was 71
Lol... Yes I know, just saying that I like the 72 body style with the judge paint and graphics! Sooner or later, everything grows on you! My car is Cameo Ivory and I have hated it to death... but everyone else loves it, and every now and then, I do too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anybody heard of Jody's Transmission in Reading P.A.? Don't know if you're set on a 5 speed but I had him build a killer 4 speed for my '65 for just under 4k and no surgery needed in 2018, wanted a 5 speed but I had the interior done and didn't want to tear it out and cut up the floor plus it was another 1000.00. He calls it an M23Z with a 2.99 first gear but you can choose a 2.21 or 2.56 also, I have 28" tires and a 3:42 cog and I spin about 2100-2200 @ 60 mph..not horrible and I'm not driving it cross country. Here's some pictures of the build sheet and trans, been solid for 2 years but haven't got it to the track yet for some real testing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts