Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Anybody heard of Jody's Transmission in Reading P.A.? Don't know if you're set on a 5 speed but I had him build a killer 4 speed for my '65 for just under 4k and no surgery needed in 2018, wanted a 5 speed but I had the interior done and didn't want to tear it out and cut up the floor plus it was another 1000.00. He calls it an M23Z with a 2.99 first gear but you can choose a 2.21 or 2.56 also, I have 28" tires and a 3:42 cog and I spin about 2100-2200 @ 60 mph..not horrible and I'm not driving it cross country. Here's some pictures of the build sheet and trans, been solid for 2 years but haven't got it to the track yet for some real testing. View attachment 141870 View attachment 141873 View attachment 141872
Nice set up! Yeah I’m looking for options in the future, choices are 200 4r or I was looking at the tremec option also. Has TH400 now which is working ok.But definitely overdrive to ease wear on the engine

·
Registered
12 Posts
so here's a question for you guys that have swapped over to the Tremec. I have a 70 Judge with the M-21 close ratio. It has the Hurst T-handle shifter. I see on STT website they offer the ball-type shifter. Can you keep the Hurst handle? I really like the Hurst handle and would like to use it. If not, does anyone know of anyone custom making Hurst handles to fit the Tremec??
I would really like to switch over because my car has factory 4:33 gears. I know someone that has a 69 Judge with 4:33 gears and went to the Tremec. He said he drove all the way to Seattle at 80mph with no issues with OD. Cuz right now I can do 52 mph and revn' at 4000. Can't cruise anywhere long and have to take back roads.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
so here's a question for you guys that have swapped over to the Tremec. I have a 70 Judge with the M-21 close ratio. It has the Hurst T-handle shifter. I see on STT website they offer the ball-type shifter. Can you keep the Hurst handle? I really like the Hurst handle and would like to use it. If not, does anyone know of anyone custom making Hurst handles to fit the Tremec??
I would really like to switch over because my car has factory 4:33 gears. I know someone that has a 69 Judge with 4:33 gears and went to the Tremec. He said he drove all the way to Seattle at 80mph with no issues with OD. Cuz right now I can do 52 mph and revn' at 4000. Can't cruise anywhere long and have to take back roads.
i know the guy at MGI shifters, I can ask him.Pretty sure it could be done

·
Registered
1967 400/400
700 Posts
Anybody heard of Jody's Transmission in Reading P.A.? Don't know if you're set on a 5 speed but I had him build a killer 4 speed for my '65 for just under 4k and no surgery needed in 2018, wanted a 5 speed but I had the interior done and didn't want to tear it out and cut up the floor plus it was another 1000.00. He calls it an M23Z with a 2.99 first gear but you can choose a 2.21 or 2.56 also, I have 28" tires and a 3:42 cog and I spin about 2100-2200 @ 60 mph..not horrible and I'm not driving it cross country. Here's some pictures of the build sheet and trans, been solid for 2 years but haven't got it to the track yet for some real testing. View attachment 141870 View attachment 141873 View attachment 141872
I've never heard of him in particular, but I've heard of a few great shops in PA, and since I'm in Jersey, it's a good lead. However, it sounds to me like your car was already a manual... Our cars are auto's, so we need clutch z bars and linkages, pedals, bell housing, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, and trans!

If the only thing I needed was a new trans, I'd be partying like it was 1999

·
Registered
1967 400/400
700 Posts
Everything is possible. The Muncie shift handle in my 70 Vette is an 8 ball. Put some pictures up of what you're looking to do.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In the picture of the 4 spd is the Long shifter which I was willing to pay the 750.00 because it's high end and was only doing this once, he assured me it would fit when I said it looks a little tight then changed his tune when he tried it on another '65 so I bought a competition plus for a '67 because I liked the raked back stick. One piece of advice if you use him get everything in writing and signed...let's just say prices and shipping details get foggy after waiting 4 months for the build and then it's he said I said...let's just say I haven't worn the free t-shirt yet
but still the product is top notch.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts