Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife recently gave me the go ahead on purchasing a turbo or a supercharger for my 06 Goat. She also added “get a good one.” I have been doing a lot of research and I want to know what problems have you guys had with your set-up. I can’t decide so I want to hear the horror stories of your boosted Goat driving you insane. Also tell me what kit you have and if you would purchase the same one again, if not what would you switch too. Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
wildchildm39 said:
Please contact me I might be interested, I'm local. How much? How used is it? Any problems? Does it include all hardware?
I bought the first US kit they made, was delivered in December. It has maybe 1000 miles total on it, probably less. I also got the only kit sold with the larger 50 lb/hr turbos. They spool instantly even on the stock LS2, but I wanted the larger ones for a 402 I had built.

There's a couple things that I'm trying to get through APS like the oil pump bracket (had to be modded for an auto trans, their kit was only fitted to 6 speed cars), and the a/c drier and hoses which don't come back off once tightened down. Everything is there. I have not figured a price yet; I paid $9500 for mine due to the larger turbos. This kit supports 1000 HP with my turbos, yet spools instantly.

I'll post in classifieds once I get pricing for all the mods; I bought a trans, converter, billet axles, etc which were all replaced to handle the turbo power.

Jody

·
Registered
95 Posts
camcojb said:
I bought the first US kit they made, was delivered in December. It has maybe 1000 miles total on it, probably less. I also got the only kit sold with the larger 50 lb/hr turbos. They spool instantly even on the stock LS2, but I wanted the larger ones for a 402 I had built.

There's a couple things that I'm trying to get through APS like the oil pump bracket (had to be modded for an auto trans, their kit was only fitted to 6 speed cars), and the a/c drier and hoses which don't come back off once tightened down. Everything is there. I have not figured a price yet; I paid $9500 for mine due to the larger turbos. This kit supports 1000 HP with my turbos, yet spools instantly.

I'll post in classifieds once I get pricing for all the mods; I bought a trans, converter, billet axles, etc which were all replaced to handle the turbo power.

Jody
cool please pm me, when you are ready to sell, I have cash.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
That's cool buddy, what's next on the agenda?
Something that already comes boosted and can be turned up without causing smog issues. Really leaning towards a 996TT Porsche (used about $70K to $80K for an 01/02 with under 20K miles) or an SL65 Mercedes, but really can't afford the Mercedes. My buddy has an SL65 that runs 11.30's with RennTech tuning and no other mods.

Jody

·
Registered
94 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
The Porsche's an EXCELLENT choice!! Nobody does turbos like they do since they were the first. Are you selling the goat with or without the APS system?
The GTO is back to stock. Only thing left to remove is the Harrop cover. Axles, trans/converter, turbo kit, etc. are all gone from the car. Can't get anything for the fully modded car, so back to stock to sell it and I'll sell all the mods separately.

Back on track, the APS kit is awesome. Excellent fit and performance, you will love yours.

Jody

·
Registered
94 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
Jody, were Cali's smog regs a factor? Pulling the kit off every other year would be a huge hassel. Fortunately here in FL there's no emissions checks anymore.

Not in the way you'd think. With a new vehicle you get six years before the first smog now, so I wasn't due until 2011. Doubtful I'd still have the car. They did add a new law this year though. They are aiming it at imports and street racers, but technically even an aftermarket cat-back is just cause for them to pull you over and open the hood. If there's any non smog-legal items on the car they have the option of giving you a ticket to visit the smog referee or impound the car immediately, officers discretion. I actually witnessed them impound half a dozen cars one evening on the main road to the drag strip on street car night. All imports with big mufflers. Problem is they are trying to curb street racing but they grabbed all the guys who were going to the track to race legally. Sets a bad example.

So this new law is another reason I'm aiming towards a factory turbo car this time.

Jody

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing yet. Does that mean that nobody has any problems with their set-up? Question I have now is does anyone have an STS on an 06 that is running conservative boost 5-8 lbs? And anyone with an STS ever had a problem with the turbo getting some water on or around it? I spoke to someone at STS and they said getting water on it would not cause any problems but I wanted to hear from someone who lives in a rainy environment, like me in Miami, FL.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.