Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to run up to 15 pounds of boost in my LS2. What sort of engine modifications does everyone recommand here? The car is going to be doing alot of road track racing. Im already getting my tranny rebuilt to handle the power and a new torque converter. Im researching camshafts and valve springs right now. The fuel system is already taken care of to. Any advise of what has worked and what hasn't will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
CopperD said:
Im planning to run up to 15 pounds of boost in my LS2. What sort of engine modifications does everyone recommand here? The car is going to be doing alot of road track racing. Im already getting my tranny rebuilt to handle the power and a new torque converter. Im researching camshafts and valve springs right now. The fuel system is already taken care of to. Any advise of what has worked and what hasn't will be greatly appreciated.

You dropping the compression? Obviously race gas only at that level, and doubt it'd survive tracking for any length of time. You need to build a turbo-specific LS2 for that.

The stock cam actually works well. I spent last weekend at Thunderhill on the track. Things will show up in a 1/2 hour session on the track that you'd never see on the street. Probably need a good engine and trans oil cooler, we were seeing 250+ oil temps on the twin turbo Camaro we were driving, and it had a cooler built into the radiator. Rear stub shafts and axles from BMR are a good idea, and you might think of a 1 piece driveshaft and safety loop also.

There's more, but I'm curious on the engine/compression question.

Jody

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its at 10.9 right now. Im going to be sitting down with everyone tommorow when the car goes in to talk about this. The GTO will have methanol injection but that will only go so far. As for gas I run 94 octane and will have toluene always onhand incase I get bad gas.

·
Registered
94 Posts
CopperD said:
Its at 10.9 right now. Im going to be sitting down with everyone tommorow when the car goes in to talk about this. The GTO will have methanol injection but that will only go so far. As for gas I run 94 octane and will have toluene always onhand incase I get bad gas.
You're gonna break it if you track the car at 15 psi with the stock engine. I love alky, have it on mine and five other forced induction cars I've built, but you need to re-think the boost level you're going to run.

Jody

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting the engine rebuilt and the guys at the shop told me I will need the same thing done to run that much boost.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Jody, I called Wheel2Wheel yesterday to talk to Billy Briggs about building a bullet-proof short block for my APS setup. Unfortunately he's out of the office for a few days as his father is not long for this world. I know they built you a 402 that you decided not to use, so from that I've decided to go with a stock displacement/cam setup but with better innards. Callies crank, Howards rods, Mahle coated 9:1 pistons and billet main caps. I think the factory heads are fine, just a cnc port and upgrade the valves & springs to be safe.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
Jody, I called Wheel2Wheel yesterday to talk to Billy Briggs about building a bullet-proof short block for my APS setup. Unfortunately he's out of the office for a few days as his father is not long for this world. I know they built you a 402 that you decided not to use, so from that I've decided to go with a stock displacement/cam setup but with better innards. Callies crank, Howards rods, Mahle coated 9:1 pistons and billet main caps. I think the factory heads are fine, just a cnc port and upgrade the valves & springs to be safe.
The 402 is slated for my 67 Chevelle. That sounds like a very nice base, and you're correct, the stock heads with the port will work great.

Jody

·
Registered
94 Posts
CopperD said:
I am getting the engine rebuilt and the guys at the shop told me I will need the same thing done to run that much boost.
Good deal. Hate to see you kill it right off the bat. Should scream for sure. Fuel system upgrades definitely and a nice boost controller.

Jody

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talk with the guys at the shop yesterday and heres an update.
New Internals, valves, custom camshaft, springs, intercooler, methanol, wideband O2, Ordering the bigger turbo,tranny being rebuilt for 1000HP, Trans break, converter, driveshaft, axles, and alot of other stuff Im forgeting. The car is set to go into shop on wednesday. I also got a car camera system with a gps and gforce meter so Ill have some good videos.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got done talking to Nyc at STS and had to tell them I need the biggest turbo they have :D So thats going to get shipped out shortly. My car goes for tranny work at Rossler wednesday and thursday. The 20 gallons of methanol I ordered arrived today for the methanol injection. Im also looking into a good air to water intercooler. I havent added juice to my list yet but who knows :rofl:

·
Registered
94 Posts
ftlfirefighter said:
Jody, do you think it's absolutely necessary or just insurance to upgrade the DS and rear end? The fellas down at Harrop have a Monaro running their blower and spray making over 600rwhp on the stock drive train with no problems.

No, not necessary. I did it but I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to break something. But I think he's planning on a lot more than 600 rwhp.

Jody

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car when to the shop today:party: Now I have a 2 week wait as everything comes together. New crack, rods, pistons, bolts, driveshaft, rossler transmission, and a whole another GTO worth of other stuff. I just got the bigger turbo from STS today and all I can say is its HUGE! Ill try to post pics each day of whats going on. Today they are droping the engine out and the tranny. Tommorow the tranny is being shipped to ohio for Rossler to work on and hopefuly its back saturday or sunday. http://www.rosslertrans.com/ Just incase you didnt know who they were. I hope to post pictures soon of both my fists in the turbo soon so keep checking. The shop that is doing all my engine work is TCC customs out of Ambridge Pa. Ill post of pictures of the 970HP twin turbo camaro I rode in to. Hopefuly this is the car I get as my loner car from them but I think thats a dream. :rofl:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything is apart on the car now. Jay at TCC started work on the car at 3 am and by the time I was there at 9 am to drop off LOTS of money :) the engine was appart and the tranny ready to goto Rosslar. We also descided to get a set of custom made heads from DCI Motorsports :) I have some pictures from today Ill post in alittle while.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for not posting pictures yet Ive just been very bussy with my car. Found out the cast iron LS2 block isnt rated for the power I want :) So I told TCC to go ahead with the LS7 block. I also broke my glasses today and have to deal with not seeing right now. I plan to have new glasses tommorow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
CopperD said:
Sorry for not posting pictures yet Ive just been very bussy with my car. Found out the cast iron LS2 block isnt rated for the power I want :) So I told TCC to go ahead with the LS7 block. I also broke my glasses today and have to deal with not seeing right now. I plan to have new glasses tommorow.

What is your power goal?

Jody

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.