Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm glad this topic got brought up... I've been talking to a guy at a speed shopt about what is better. He said he's leary of puting any kind of forced induction on an engine w/ the LS2's high compression ratio. He recommened a Procharger over anything else if I decided to go that way, but said he could get me about 500 rwhp naturally aspirated.

Aside from STS, are there any other turbo set ups available?

·
Registered
115 Posts
ive got a friend that has the maggi and cam on his 04. havent been in it since the cam but the maggi pretty good pick up .no i also have a friend that has the turbo he hasnt installed yet will give up date when he has it put in, also 04. now both of them bought them 2nd hand. so it was cheaper. just an idea for you to look into.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Has anyone installed an STS (remote mount turbo)? www dot ststurbo dot com / pontiac_gto_6_0l

I had a buddy mention this the other day and know nothing about the pros or cons of an exhaust mounted turbo. Any input is welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I'm glad this topic got brought up... I've been talking to a guy at a speed shopt about what is better. He said he's leary of puting any kind of forced induction on an engine w/ the LS2's high compression ratio. He recommened a Procharger over anything else if I decided to go that way, but said he could get me about 500 rwhp naturally aspirated.

Aside from STS, are there any other turbo set ups available?
Here is a Twin Turbo from APS, My choice would be a maggie,

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm glad this topic got brought up... I've been talking to a guy at a speed shopt about what is better. He said he's leary of puting any kind of forced induction on an engine w/ the LS2's high compression ratio.
Find another shop. Times have changed, engine controls have gotten better, etc. if they still think that, they are stuck in the stone age :). There are several people running boosted LS2's and quite a few of us running 10 psi +. Yes, it is *slightly* harder to tune than boosting a low compression motor, but find a boost compression calculator and you will see that even 10 psi on an 10.9:1 motor is 18.31:1- lower overall static compression than the say 21 psi used on a low compression 8.5:1 turbo motor- 20.64:1 at sea level. Check out this link and play around with some numbers- http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compression.htm , pretty nice tool I have used with several turbo motors just playing around. Reliability is all in the intercooling and tune.

A turbo will ultimately be faster with a good tune, setup, etc. but I do think the procharger with it's "softer" hit and linear power curve will probably be easier on the motor. I have a Procharger on mine only because I didn't like the pricing on the turbo kits or the quality of the cheaper ones, I'll just build my own when the time comes and sell the blower.
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.