Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
As far as looks go I give a...0. I think I would take the S/C just because it looks better. I think I could live with 500hp. ( for a little while)

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone seen the front page on SLPs website? 421 bolt on hp for 04 GTOs. No other info on the page. Smells like a blower to me. Anyone have any good info on this???

·
Registered
16 Posts
andersen54981 said:
After I saw this, My choice got even harder.. 602 hp at the wheel, is a lot of power.
http://ststurbo.com/pontiac_gto
Don't know about the power output but have never seen such a "remote" setup. I'm no turbo expert but I suspect this system would be suseptable to turbo "wait" rather than mere turbo "lag".
Also seems a waste to have 15ft of intake tubing & I can't see an intercooler.

:confused

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep, the SC seems to be the more aesthetically pleasing option, and the turbo kit looks done by amateurs. The extra power of the turbo doesn't make up for the fact of how awful it looks. I'd go with a procharger myself...when I get the extra moolah.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm,, A blower sounds better to.
How many horsepower is this engine built for, before I need to do internal changes? :cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
with boost your would be smart to get stronger connecting rods pistons springs and pushrods... the stock crank is good for 1000+ rwhp

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Blankman I've Got The Article Right In Front Of Me And Here's A List Of Slp's Mods. Mid-length,1-5/8 Inch Stainless Headers (415hp) 1-3/4 Inch Headers (421hp), Stainless 2.5 Inch Cat-back Exhaust With X Pipe With 4.5 Modular Mufflers, 85mm Mass Air Meter, 1.85 Ratio Rocker Arms With 1.255 Inch Springs And Titanium Retainers, Sfi Crankshaft Underdrive Balancer Pulley (25% Underdriven), 160 Degree Thermostat, Slp Blackwing Airfilter,slp Custom Pcm Tuning,sfi Lightweight Billet Steel Flywheel,stronger Dual Mass Clutch (zo6 Spec), And Reduced Throw Shifer. I Hope This Helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dont be so quick to dismiss the remote turbo systems by sts. Watch two guys garage on speed channel this weekend (1/8). They're going to be doing a camaro and truck with the sts turbo systems. I guess they dyno them afterwards. Watch the show and learn something before dissing them. Gmhightech performance magazine just featured an sts trans am in the Jan 2005 issue. Take a look at it, then run your mouths. by the way, sts has a gto turbo kit too. ststurbo.com

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had seen an article on the STS turbo. I remember an option of runing a methonal tank to help cool the air. It also said there was very minimal turbo lag. The article gave the system high marks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just left the FI field and no all about it. We had this same discussion ad nauseum and I will say that the key to all applications is tuning. I will even go farther and admit that I chose a bad installer (who is actually a Vendor/Sponsor on LS1.com where I have posted since 2000) and he ran it too lean ( not enough fuel) and blew my rods. The poster in this thread stating you should swap rods is correct unless it is very carefully tuned.
Also for you M6 guys (I have an A4) with FI (Forced Induction) your clutch is gonna go real quick and you should save for an after market one if you plan on racing. If you don't plan on racing why do you need that much power anyway heh!

SCer? Will yield high horse power, cost less in the long run and run cooler. Turbos spool up faster usually giving them the jump on you but run hotter.
Like I said, both need constant maintenance and cooling and tuning but if I was rich I would get the ATI Procharger all over again it is rock solid.

As for the SLP Headers they are definately on my list but I can't find anyone who has the 160 themostat in stock??? It is winter anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts