Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What color is everybodies kick-panel courtesy lights? I have an Impulse blue car, and they have a blueish-green cover over these bulbs. Are they color cooridinated? [I do kinda wish you could turn off the overhead light and still let these lights come on.]

2) While I am flippin AMAZED at the tunnel of light when the brights are on, are the regular beams cut-off rather short? They just don't seem to be far enough up the road.

????
---Larry

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would highly suggest looking into a HID kit for your GTO. Since you are already equipped with projector housings a HID kit would drastically improve light output. You can get kits that are anywhere from 3000K to 9000K. REmember the higher you go in the kelvin scale the more purple.bluish they become. Stay around 4000K if you want to look street legal and have the best light output. Since HID lights run at far less temperature ratings then a regular headlight you will have no melting issues.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Melting issues???

I have "upgraded" the lights in most of my vehicles over the years, but I think these are putting out enough lumens, its just cut off so sharpy, so low. I mean, the beam seems to abruptly end 10-15 feet in front of the car (okay maybe 20') That just seems so short.

Upgrading the bulbs would result in a more brlilliant beam, but I think the lens/system would just make that 10-15' brighter - I want the low beams to be more like the high beams.

---Larry

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
My yellow car has white courtesy lights.

I want HIDs. My Bimmer had HIDs and they are far superior to the halogens in every way.

Are there HID kits for GTOs? Who has them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
let there be light.

Larry,
Just got my goat 4 days ago. I had the same problem with the heqadlights only illuminating less than a car length. I took it back to the dealer and they re-aimed the lights. It looks more like the high beams did. NOW the high beams light up everything, and the regular beams look great. My kick panel lights are the blue/green color and my gto is black.
-Jason

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jason - hey welcome to the GTO owners club!

Do you know if the low beams adjust seperately from the hi's? I'm real happy about the way the high beams look, its just the lows that need to come up a bit.

---Larry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Groucho said:
My yellow car has white courtesy lights.

I want HIDs. My Bimmer had HIDs and they are far superior to the halogens in every way.

Are there HID kits for GTOs? Who has them?
My friend let me drive is BMW M3 awhile back at night, and every other car we passed on the back two-lane country roads, the guy coming the other way would frantically flash his high beams, thinking we had our beams on. My friend said it constantly happens. I've got to admit that I've been blinded more than once on the twisty back roads near my house by the HID's. It's not too cool when you're on the receiving end. As far as I'm concerned, there's been a problem for years with pick ups and SUVs that have strong headlights right at the level of auto drivers' eyes. Now, the Xenon HIDs are another issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Larry, the headlamp housing has the adjusters on it. Both bulbs will move at the same time, but I think you will be OK.

·
Registered
153 Posts
1. Yellow Car -- green (blue-green) footwell lamps.
2. Get the headlamps and fog lamps aimed. (use a phillips for the headlamps.)

As impressed as you were with high beams, they are even more impressive afterwards.
I think it is so you can spot kangaroo at 90 mph.?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I'll get 'em adjusted. I hope the Hi beams won't be up in the tree branches when its done tho.

---Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Larry,
Thanks for the greeting!
I'm with BSMCALL I loved the high beams before they were adjusted. Now they are like stadium lighting. If you're like me you will not be unhappy. No Kangaroos here..but I can spot a 'possum from a mile a way. ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adjusted - YES!

Well thanks all for encouraging me to get the lights adjusted. It indeed made a HUGE improvement in the low beams with no noticable change in the high beams.

I'm so glad I asked, I thought the pattern was just the way the fancy projector lenses worked.

---Larry

·
Registered
109 Posts
The low beams are #H11/55w, and the high beams are #H9. The fog lamp bulb listing also shows an H11/55w, but it sounded strange to me to have the same # bulb for fog and low beam. But then again, you never know what those crazy guys at GM will do. You may have to pull a fog lamp bulb just to double check.

Brian

·
Registered
162 Posts
i did pull the fog lite bulb and it said h4 on the bulb handel.......but the guy at the speed shop said he didnt think that was it oh well guess ill have 2 pull the whole bulbs out and look at the prongs..........thanx for the help dude

·
Registered
109 Posts
No problem. Any time you guys (and gals) have any factory parts related questions, feel free to post it. All of the 04' parts catalog is at my fingertips, and the 05' parts info will be here soon.

Brian

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just so you don't have to remember the odd(at least for GM) bulb numbers, the Bulb Numbers are actually cast into the lense on each Headlamp. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
rock421 said:
No problem. Any time you guys (and gals) have any factory parts related questions, feel free to post it. All of the 04' parts catalog is at my fingertips, and the 05' parts info will be here soon.

Brian
question, will the monaro guage pod (upper center console) oil press, elec status be available for the 04 gto. :confused

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Note - there is a similar lamp question going in in "Head and Fog lamps"

I posted a site for possible HID kit there.

---Larry

·
Registered
109 Posts
No word on the gauge pod yet, but I will keep my eyes open. The reference material I have right here pertains more to the cars replacement parts. I will be sure to watch out for the accessories as they become available.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts