Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 225/70R14 tyre on American racing rim, but if I measure the diameter it's about 25" with wheel off the ground yet the specs suggest it should be 26.4". Wheres that 1.4 inches gone, or am I being stupid?! The tyre is worn more in the centre also.

Reason I care is I'm moving from a 3.73 to either a 3.08 or 3.23 rear diff, as currently it's running about 60mph at 3000rpm and not pleasant in the slightest to drive on freeway, and quite jumpy around town (455ci). It's a 4 speed hurst short shift.

Thanks for any guidance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes, the 225-70/14 should be about 26.4" diameter.
Switching to either the 3.08 or the 3.23 will make freeway cruising much more enjoyable and you'll still have fun at the green lights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I can't figure out why my 225/70R14 tyre measures 25", but it absolutely does, unless there's a US/European difference in tyre dimensions. FYI I'm in the uk. Tyres are cooper cobra radial gt. If I plug 25" and 3.73 gear ratio into the rpm calculator it's bang on what my engine at 60mph is doing, so 25" is right, but I'm confused why its not 26.4"?!

What is the measured diameter of your 295 15" rear wheel? Could you pm me a pic? I may go for 3.23 gear and bigger diameter and fatter tyre as these cooper tyres are a bit thin looking and im concerned theres a dinension not quite right if its only measuring 25", so 3.08 and larger / correct diameter tyres may make green lights dull.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rukee. I'm going to check if I can get American racing torq thrust wheels bigger at the rear and swap current 225 rears to front. Would you advise running a 15" wheel on rear and 14 on front, with approx 1" overall diameter difference? Can't see an issue myself and don't want steering to get heavier as its borderline as is! (Unsure if there's a quick ratio steering box option).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet as nipples.

Do you know if I need a particular offset for my 67 to make either a 15 x 8 or 15 x 10 fit? A company over here in UK said they can supply a 15" x 8 Torq Thrust II wheel to match which will take a 295/50R15. However I wasn't sure if this was going to squash the tyre and wear it in the centre. Also I wasnt sure if the 15 x 10 or 15 x 8 will fit without needing to modify my inner arches. Would you know?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts