Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine builder did a lousy paint job on the engine and it was a real eye-sore. But what can you do when the engine is in the car? So, I just swapped out my cam and I took advantage of the opportunity to get the engine looking better, so that I didn't have to be so embarrassed at shows.

My car isn't a daily driver, but it's a survivor and I take a LOT of road trips. A crummy paint job, a few old leaks, and road grit... really poo-pooed up the engine bay.

So I stripped the engine. Timing cover, water pump, valve covers, valley pan, balancer, pulleys, and intake. I bought a 50lb of soda blast media from jegs and a gravity feed blast gun from Harbor Fright. It took an hour to strip the engine and then a few hours with Simple Green and blast gun to clean the parts. After that I blasted the engine to and wiped everything down with acetone.

I found pints of a product called "Motor Coater", Pontiac Blue. Mixed it up with a hardner, thinned it with acetone, and sprayed it through a $25 Harbor Fright HVLP gun.

It took two evenings, but man was it worth it. I also got to fix a few leaks and installed a $50 stainless steal engine bolt kit from Butler.

Trigger Gun barrel Camera accessory Air gun Gun accessory

Liquid Packaging and labeling Sleeve Font Gas

Tin Tin can Paint Drink Rectangle

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did something similar with my Pontiac Truck motor. It had zero miles on the motor but the entire build took more years than I will admit. The motor looked worse than yours as the build was almost done and I merely wire wheeled some things and washed down with lacquer thinner and shot the whole thing with engine paint. The motor had to come out to fix a rear freeze plug leak so it was a no brainer. (it took just over 20 years for that freeze plug to fail, there I admitted it). I have over 2000 miles on the fresh re-paint and all is good except the manifold which I expected to fade fast. Yours should do real well knowing it was blasted.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Looks great ! I've spent a lot of time on routing wires, hoses and such and making the motor the focus...it's the little details like painting your edelbrock letters that get noticed as a cool touch I know people have commented on my pinstriped vale covers and manifold lettering paint. Braided hoses would look good or just the nice ends from the braided hoses on the rubber, I've seen that before. I also take the brand labels off of everything, I do get a little anal sometimes but in the end it's worth it (y)

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I didnt see that on the garage art post.

The engine looks good.
Yeah... I did mention in that thread that my shop resembled the Munsters House/ Frankensteins Lab... It's literally covered from end to end with crazy, gothic, hotrod butchery. That sign on the wall was from a restaurant that went out of business. It spelt "FISH". I had to modify the F to make a T.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get your checkbook out. That stuff is expensive.
When I was a kid, it sure was. Not so bad with adult bucks, however I'm seeing that the Chinese stuff has flooded the market, so the bigger issue now is determining quality. I thought that Russell/ Edelbrock had it, but can't find it. Amazon has Mr Gssket, but it's very old stock and horribly faded (which on a side note: how bad must uv rays be if they can fade anodized aluminum?). Then there's universal Amazon Bonsai brand...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts