Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine builder did a lousy paint job on the engine and it was a real eye-sore. But what can you do when the engine is in the car? So, I just swapped out my cam and I took advantage of the opportunity to get the engine looking better, so that I didn't have to be so embarrassed at shows.

My car isn't a daily driver, but it's a survivor and I take a LOT of road trips. A crummy paint job, a few old leaks, and road grit... really poo-pooed up the engine bay.

So I stripped the engine. Timing cover, water pump, valve covers, valley pan, balancer, pulleys, and intake. I bought a 50lb of soda blast media from jegs and a gravity feed blast gun from Harbor Fright. It took an hour to strip the engine and then a few hours with Simple Green and blast gun to clean the parts. After that I blasted the engine to and wiped everything down with acetone.

I found pints of a product called "Motor Coater", Pontiac Blue. Mixed it up with a hardner, thinned it with acetone, and sprayed it through a $25 Harbor Fright HVLP gun.

It took two evenings, but man was it worth it. I also got to fix a few leaks and installed a $50 stainless steal engine bolt kit from Butler.

Trigger Gun barrel Camera accessory Air gun Gun accessory

Liquid Packaging and labeling Sleeve Font Gas

Tin Tin can Paint Drink Rectangle

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I didnt see that on the garage art post.

The engine looks good.
Yeah... I did mention in that thread that my shop resembled the Munsters House/ Frankensteins Lab... It's literally covered from end to end with crazy, gothic, hotrod butchery. That sign on the wall was from a restaurant that went out of business. It spelt "FISH". I had to modify the F to make a T.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get your checkbook out. That stuff is expensive.
When I was a kid, it sure was. Not so bad with adult bucks, however I'm seeing that the Chinese stuff has flooded the market, so the bigger issue now is determining quality. I thought that Russell/ Edelbrock had it, but can't find it. Amazon has Mr Gssket, but it's very old stock and horribly faded (which on a side note: how bad must uv rays be if they can fade anodized aluminum?). Then there's universal Amazon Bonsai brand...

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looks fabulous Army - that old ProMaster coil brings me back to high school days. This is prior to my getting the car painted over covid. Love the Pontiac blue. and that MSD box s**t the bed, putting a grey and black one in over the winter. View attachment 147596
Thanks bro! Holley owns MSD, as well as Mallory now, so... The Mallory stuff is simply the MSD stuff with different packaging. My Hyfire is just a 6AL in disguise and its a direct plug in for my Summit Pro Billet, which is just an MSD Pro Billet, in disguise!

So now, not only am I the only guy at the car show with GTO, Im the only guy without an MSD 6A, too.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It was all a good learning experience. Ive lived with it looking horrible for well over a year, because I didn't know what my ability would be to improve it, while in the car. At the end of the day, it was a quick and painless process. I just had to take the first step. I hope to continue the progress with the rest of the engine bay.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
There's a special tool to do it... but yeah a razor, too. I like the idea, and although I can see it being a pain during a fail while on the road, if you have to go to NAPA for a new hose, you can always buy a clamp, too.

One thing is that the Gates shrink clamps are $10 ea!

Old skool black anodized covers, without the stainless cover sleeves are actually cheaper. And you can always shrink over a clamp, as well.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Great post OP. Do you have anymore pics? Would love to see. Did you worry about sand/media getting into the intake or was all that taped off? If so do you have pics of the prep work? Id be interested in doing this as well.
No need to tape anything off with soda blasting, because the media is merely sodium bicarbonate, which breaks down infinitely and is water soluble... it is listed as non abrasive! So, you could soda blast engine internals, if you wanted to.

I was a bit leery going into the job, but now having done it extensively, I'd have no fear whatsoever, of completely blasting an engine (or any other component in the engine bay) while it was in/ on the vehicle.

In fact, Ive done a lot of sand blasting and this was a joy, by comparison. Eye and respiratory protection are dramatically reduced as well. Whenever it did get in my eyes or mouth it was merely salty... and not abrasive.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
If you reeeeeallly want to go trick:

Love that Killer Glass, but I guess Id have to have it custom made?

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
so that was done while the engine was in the car??- wow- good job and thanks for listing parts/pieces/tools
Yes. I blasted it in the engine bay, cleaned and painted it, and then reassembled. the front pulleys, etc. It's even more dramatic in person... The pulleys, brackets, nuts, bolts... everything was POOP! Now it all looks brand new!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts