Pontiac GTO Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great post OP. Do you have anymore pics? Would love to see. Did you worry about sand/media getting into the intake or was all that taped off? If so do you have pics of the prep work? Id be interested in doing this as well.

·
Registered
1971, '68 400,rochester, 340 hp, 10.5:1 comp, 445 ft. lbs. torque( says the brochure) m-22, 390 rear
37 Posts
Oh man... the shows mandate that you open your hood and so I usually never even enter. Im very happy! Now if it lasts...
pretty cool, like the fin motif in the v.c.'s.( those m/t s? ) and the air cleaner, did v.c. gaskets last weekend and looking and scraping flakes of manifold blue, thinking hhmmmmn? need a half cylinders less replacement commuter first tho. thats a nice color those pontiac blues, fluctuates between blue and green to me. wonder how close it is to the 1970 mint turquoise color tho? engine and body paint similar if not the same color, i also have rallye rims body colored instead of the silver greys, 2 red and 2 green, but thats just a matter of a little paint

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Great post OP. Do you have anymore pics? Would love to see. Did you worry about sand/media getting into the intake or was all that taped off? If so do you have pics of the prep work? Id be interested in doing this as well.
No need to tape anything off with soda blasting, because the media is merely sodium bicarbonate, which breaks down infinitely and is water soluble... it is listed as non abrasive! So, you could soda blast engine internals, if you wanted to.

I was a bit leery going into the job, but now having done it extensively, I'd have no fear whatsoever, of completely blasting an engine (or any other component in the engine bay) while it was in/ on the vehicle.

In fact, Ive done a lot of sand blasting and this was a joy, by comparison. Eye and respiratory protection are dramatically reduced as well. Whenever it did get in my eyes or mouth it was merely salty... and not abrasive.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
If you reeeeeallly want to go trick:

Love that Killer Glass, but I guess Id have to have it custom made?

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
My engine builder did a lousy paint job on the engine and it was a real eye-sore. But what can you do when the engine is in the car? So, I just swapped out my cam and I took advantage of the opportunity to get the engine looking better, so that I didn't have to be so embarrassed at shows.

My car isn't a daily driver, but it's a survivor and I take a LOT of road trips. A crummy paint job, a few old leaks, and road grit... really poo-pooed up the engine bay.

So I stripped the engine. Timing cover, water pump, valve covers, valley pan, balancer, pulleys, and intake. I bought a 50lb of soda blast media from jegs and a gravity feed blast gun from Harbor Fright. It took an hour to strip the engine and then a few hours with Simple Green and blast gun to clean the parts. After that I blasted the engine to and wiped everything down with acetone.

I found pints of a product called "Motor Coater", Pontiac Blue. Mixed it up with a hardner, thinned it with acetone, and sprayed it through a $25 Harbor Fright HVLP gun.

It took two evenings, but man was it worth it. I also got to fix a few leaks and installed a $50 stainless steal engine bolt kit from Butler.

View attachment 147534
View attachment 147535
View attachment 147533
so that was done while the engine was in the car??- wow- good job and thanks for listing parts/pieces/tools

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
so that was done while the engine was in the car??- wow- good job and thanks for listing parts/pieces/tools
Yes. I blasted it in the engine bay, cleaned and painted it, and then reassembled. the front pulleys, etc. It's even more dramatic in person... The pulleys, brackets, nuts, bolts... everything was POOP! Now it all looks brand new!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts