Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Forgot the game was on........ This moving major bowl and championship games to the 2nd week of January sucks... If they'd eliminate most of the pathetic ridiculous bowls these games could be played on the day it was once intended for.

The Papa John Bowl...... come on.

How bout the Illegal Aliens Bowl?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It would of been a lot different if Colt McCoy hadnt gone out on the first drive of the game. They almost came back even with their back up QB.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
It would of been a lot different if Colt McCoy hadnt gone out on the first drive of the game. They almost came back even with their back up QB.
After Colt went out 'Bama completely changed their gameplan. Basically, went into a stall. The score, IMO, didn't reflect how the game went. Even tho I was glad to see 'Bama win, I thought the game was a big disappointment. It was a far cry from a championship game. There were other Bowl games that were much better. And the way 'Bama and Texas looked, neither one should be #1. JMO......

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Here's how the AP(writers) Poll ranked the teams in the final standings. The coaches poll isn't out yet. They don't take into account the AP, just the "computer". I would like to see BSU move up in the rankings. I've never liked the BCS since it's inception......

1. Alabama 14-0
2. Texas 13-1(lost Champ. game, still stay #2?)
3. Florida 13-1
4. Boise State 14-0(beat PAC 10 champ and TCU who nobody picked them to beat)
5. Ohio State 11-2
6. TCU 12-1
7. Iowa 11-2
8. Penn State 11-2
9. Cincinnati 12-1(they were unbeaten and ranked forth until their bowl game with Florida where they were crushed. But how they dropped 5 spots is beyond me. 3 teams above them have 2 losses)
10. Virginia Tech 10-3
11. Oregon
12. BYU
13. Georgia Tech
14. Nebraska
15. Pittsburgh
16. Wisconsin
17. LSU
18. Utah
19. MiamiFlorida
20. USC
22. West Virginia
23. Texas Tech
24. Central Mich
25. Oklahoma State

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Many people discount the strength of schedule:
Cincinnati .... Look at their schedule and the level of competition:
Teams they played this year that had strength they barely squeaked by.
They barely beat Fresno State.
Connecticut had a great year but overall they are not in the same league as say a Florida. Cinci edged them. They barely beat W.Virginia and to come from behind to beat Pitt. Of the 12 teams they played in regular season then Pitt, they struggled with 3 quality teams and Fresno state. To be considered as one of the best in the country they have to have a better showing to stronger opponents, especially when other teams that traditionally play stronger schedules year in and year out are constantly in the hunt for the national Championship. Them playing Florida was a mismatch from the beginning. I couldn't believe they were matched with them.

Boise State would have been no match for Florida. Take a look at Boise States yearly schedule, they have had success in the past few years but take a look at who they play. IMO Boise State and Cincinnati would have been a better match up. TCU had a great season but to consider them in the same breath as Florida, Texas, Alabama, I don't think so.

Florida vs Ohio State would have been a better match up.
Can't have that when the winner of the Big Ten goes to the Rose Bowl against the PAC 10 winner. That game is reserved for them.
IMO...If teams are vying for a BCS Championship they should be exempt from representing their conference in a game that matches the winner of one conference to the other and play for bragging rights who is best and who is more deserving. No way would Florida have played Ohio State cause Ohio Ohio State represented the big 10. They should have forgone that and played for a true National Ranking based on BSC head to head competition on strength of schedule.

While I know teams like Florida play weak opponents too they consistently are in the breadth of the very best. Some teams beat great NAMES not always great teams.

I am not a Penn State fan. In fact I can't stand them. Year in and year out their schedule is shuffled so they play either a weak team leading up to a quality opponent or they schedule a bye so they have 2 weeks to prepare. Their schedule is so that when they play a strong opponent it is followed by a weak one. IMO this is done so they can capture the momentum they may have lost in a loss to a stronger team. They play division 2 teams (and others do too) which helps them in their W-L record but not strength of schedule. Each year they lambaste poor Temple who only plays PSU for the $$$$$$$. Yet PSU is constantly rated high. They play most of their schedule home and have a few away games. This year they played 8 home games out of 12. The first 4 were home games the last 2 were home games. They make sure every year they have as much home-field advantage as possible.

Their strength of schedule this year, IMO wasn't that good, they lost to Ohio State, and Iowa they spanked the rest, most were lousy. Now they did beat LSU that was the only quality opponent they played this year they beat.

I am with the majority,,,,, a play off system for the top tier teams based on the strength of schedule. Cut out this division 1 playing division 2 teams crap and play teams that should be equally on par with each other. This will never happen, there is too much $$ to be made this way, If you have enough money you can sponsor a bowl game....... How bout the GTO FORUM Bowl? Why not, Papa John got one. I think the bowl debate keeps those who control the debates young. It will never be perfect. Too many teams going undefeated playing lesser opponents and demanding they are no. 1 when they get a chance to play a real no. 1 caliber team ......ouch.

I think had McCoy not been knocked out, the outcome would have been drastically different. Despite how it works out College Football is IMO superior to the pro game.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
If you have enough money you can sponsor a bowl game....... How bout the GTO FORUM Bowl? Why not, Papa John got one.
I think had McCoy not been knocked out, the outcome would have been drastically different. Despite how it works out College Football is IMO superior to the pro game.
Holy cow Judge, did someone mention Obama in their post and I missed it? I haven't seen you this involved since the last leftwing, liberal thread.:willy:

I realize they take into account regular schedules to determine rankings. Have a post season playoff and eliminate the," Well so-and-so had a weaker schedule so we're only going to rank you this high". Let the weaker teams prove themselves on the field against higher ranking teams.

GTO Forum bowl? You bet. As long as this forum ponies up enough money, it's a done deal. Like you mentioned, all it takes is enough money to sponsor a bowl game and you got one. Then you get to hand pick who you want to play in it. Money, money, money.........

If you're implying that Texas would have won if Colt was playing, I would have to disagree. They might have, but by know means would it have been a given. Alabama would never have gone into an offensive stall and a defensive prevent. Alabama would have been a completely different team. What Alabama should have done is blown the doors off Texas in the 1st half. Throw the ball down the field. Instead, the coach was conservative and almost lost the game. When 'Bama's back was pinned against the door, they stepped it up(barely, just enough to win).

I still think the championship game was when Florida and Alabama played during the regular season...:) Texas never should have been given the chance to play #1. Put one second back on the clock on an incomplete pass..... Right.... But it was, what it was.... Just think if Texas would have lost that game. Talk about a mess in the rankings. I wonder on many BCS personnel were in the booth at that game????!!!!! By Texas winning, it avoided a nightmare...

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Watch and see..... The Obama Bowl...... right after he gets his own postage stamp. LMAO

Too many Bowl Games. Teams with a .500 record have no business being in a bowl but its all about money. Too many liberals controlling bowl decisions :rofl::rofl:

I am a ND fan..... I think the coach of Cincinnati owed it to his team to finish out the season. The whole way that situation played out stank. All money. They should have waited until after their game to announce it but it would have leaked out.

I remember the College All-Stars playing the Super Bowl Champs to kick off the season..... Imagine them doing that now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts