Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in canada... I want to get a 2005 across the border but I know I can't as they are stock... anyone know of any resources to find out what needs to be changed to pass an inspection? I know no one does but I thought this was a good introduction....:lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
deadmonkeyfeet said:
So I'm in canada... I want to get a 2005 across the border but I know I can't as they are stock... anyone know of any resources to find out what needs to be changed to pass an inspection? I know no one does but I thought this was a good introduction....:lol:
Deadmonkeyfeet,

Welcome to GTOforum!

Unfortunately the 04-06 GTO cannot be modified to meet Canadian standards, more than likely the GTO does not meet the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 210 which relates to the seat belt anchorage location. As you stated, these cars cannot be imported into Canada until 15 years after the build date listed on the vehicle.

Good luck, maybe the 08 US built GTOs and Camaros will meet all of the RIV standards.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The only things I could think of for you to try are #1-Find a distant relative living in the states who will let you register the GTO at their address or
#2-Order all the parts (frame, body, drivetrain, interior) and assemble the car yourself and get a VIN tag for a custome built vehicle. It's a little far fetched, but if you want one that badly.......

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Justice said:
Or just move to the US...

HAHAHA!!!! That was awesome Justice. Everyone is being so serious and then you break that one out. HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Seriously though. Register the car somewhere in the states. Many of my friends do that and they have no issues. Ya Know!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too want to bring a 05-06 goat to Canada. Winnipeg actually. I know for a fact that i've seen 2 here a black 2005, and a red 2004 which was at a mitsu dealer, they must know something i dont! wtf

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the black 05's from Winnipeg became a resident of Saskatoon late this summer. They are now legal to bring into Canada, but check it out before you do any serious shopping, see what you are getting into. I needed outer tie rods to pass the Sask Safety - special order from the dealer only, no aftermarket suppliers in Canada stock parts - these cars were not supposed to be here. Dealer had to get special permission from GM to ship across the border. In the end, if it is what you want, grab it, I did. Just don't think you can go to any parts store and get yourself back on the road that same day.

Air filter I was able to talk one of the after market suppliers into getting one. Still not an easy task..... can't wait till I break something major - that will be fun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
GTO to Canada

I just bought an 06 GTO from Florida
The car is legally registered in Canada.
It cost me approximatley $1,900.00 to do all the legalities needed to do this
I used a car broker who is in the business of importing anything from 32 Fords to exotics.
Usually a customer will request a particular car they want & the Broker will source the vehicle & do all the paperwork to deliver to the customer, in his name.
I didn;t get into the specifics on the "how to's" but, i do know he had to install a front bumper brace kit to pass crash worthiness.

From the time i ordered the car to it showing up in my driveway was 2 months.
anyone need more details i can certainly either ask him specific questions or put you in touch with him
Roy

·
Registered
96 Posts
GTO Canada parts

I should also mention to any late model GTO owners,
You CAN buy parts here in Canada,
Jacie Clapper of Peddlers USA will send you his Canadian dealer list
One in Ontario & another in the West, Alberta.
Just drop a line to :
[email protected]

·
Registered
96 Posts
ch-changes

I did briefly talk to the broker who bought my 06 into Canada
Seems the following had to be addressed to make the 06 legal to register here:
-Seat belt anchors
- door safety bars
-front bumper braces

I;m very curious to know how many 06;s are in Canada
Must be fairly rare here, a trip to the store that should take minutes turns into an hour just answering questions from the crowd thats gathered while i'm pickin up a bottle of milk!

·
Registered
15 Posts
'06 here up in the Brampton area :)

I'm getting most of my parts directly from the US, though am looking at sourcing a Procharger from a local shop. Haven't seen too many others out there though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Legal for Canucks

Well, here;s a heads up for you.
The 06;s ARE legal for sale in Canada
Seems that front bumper part that my car broker said he had to install on my 06, well, it ain;t under there unless its so well placed i can;t find it!
The door braces, i know they took the door panels off, as it took me hours to fix their handiwork!
But, did they put bars in the doors? I'm very doubtful. I think the broker used this "safety stuff you need installed" as a selling tool.
I'm amazed at the knowledgeable car guys who are so sure you can;t bring the late model GTO into Canada,
All i can tell you is it can be done,Legally!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Guys please read the date before you start posting. This thread was made back in 2006. If you wana post about anythign else make a new thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts