Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now while shopping for ‘65-67 GTO’s I discovered I can’t fit! (I’m 6-4 but I fit ok in a 66 mustang convertible)
I hit my head and no legroom to safely drive. Very disappointing after lusting for years for one!
Are there any easy mods for head and legroom? I don’t want to butcher a car or make a Frankenstein
Thanks much

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't spent any time in an early GTO in the past50 years or so, but in the Pantera community where headroom, especially at the track with a helmet on, is at a premium, the easy fix are dropped floor pans. If they don't already exist for the GTO, they should be too hard to fabricate. As for legroom, maybe unscrewing the seat rails and sliding them a little further back will help you out without too much noticeable change.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah, I've gained leg & head room by moving the seat tracks back. And I've moved 'em forward, for my short wife.

And then there are aftermarket seats that have the seat cushion closer to the floor. Racing seats come to mind. May not be as comfortable, but will give you extra room.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Year one has very nice “Seat extenders” I use them on my 66, very easy install and they move the seat back. I think they are $40 bucks or so, and strong. Try those first, I thought it would not be enough go back but it was, made a real difference in comfort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! That sounds like a perfect fix, seat pans are more surgery than I want to get into for the height so maybe I’ll stick with a convertible...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts