Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on removing the old under coating from the bottom of my 66 Lemans. I used a torch and a wire wheel to remove the old coating. The old coating was beyond saving and in the process I found small rust holes in the floor pans and trunk pans that I welded up. The problem that I am having is the black film left on the metal from the under coating. I need to remove the film before I spray Zero Rust. What is the best way to remove this film. I tried a little sand blasting but it did not work very well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Have you tried a chemical stripper? Maybe lacquer thinner? Whatever you do, do not use brake clean and weld afterwards, it produces a potnetially deadly off-gas unless THOROUGHLY cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I've had good results with aerosol aircraft stripper which can be found at most auto parts stores. The brush-on stripper is not as good as the aerosol spray-on type.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
This story was posted awhile back on this forum. Brake cleaner and heat do not work well together. Thought it would be a good time to bring it back up....

Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

Thanks for posting that. I had read it a couple of years ago, but didn't know where I had found it.

Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts