Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1968 GTO
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find where the white wire goes that comes out of the firewall and is cut off about 3 inches long. it looks like it has extra insulation wrapping. It is hot only with ignition on. I'm looking for a hot wire to connect to an HEI. I'm still in a restoration mode. would appreciate any help for either part.Thanks much...

·
Registered
1968 GTO
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where on the firewall? Engine or interior side? Photo?

Not aware of any factory installed, 12 volt white wiring.
White wires are normally used a a ground circuit for the interior courtesy and dome lights
The wire comes out in the high center on the engine side through the same grommet as air conditioning supply vacuum hose from the engine. it has a solid wire rather than stranded and has insulation around it. I wondered if it might be power to an optional under hood light but is only powered when the ignition is on. I'll try to get a picture.

·
Registered
1971 GTO resto mod. Modified 428 HO, 4 sp (built by midwest muncie) Dana 60, 3.55 rear
153 Posts
You may have to follow that one up under the dash and find it's origination.. I am not aware of solid wire ever being used by the factory, but then again I haven't seen it all either.. Coming through the firewall where it does, it makes me think someone in the past added something that was later removed and they just left the wire..

·
Registered
1968 GTO
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that a good theory, but the trouble is I bought the car new..Thanks for the reply.
You may have to follow that one up under the dash and find it's origination.. I am not aware of solid wire ever being used by the factory, but then again I haven't seen it all either.. Coming through the firewall where it does, it makes me think someone in the past added something that was later removed and they just left the wire..
I'll try tomorrow to trace it and see if I can tell where it originates as you suggested.

·
Registered
1972 Lemans GTO w/ 1970 455HO engine and a 4 speed.
5 Posts
Isn’t that what would have been the resistor wire that used to power the points? Check the voltage with the key on. If it’s about 6 volt that’s it. Looks like it has hei so somebody already converted it probably.

·
Registered
1968 GTO
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn’t that what would have been the resistor wire that used to power the points? Check the voltage with the key on. If it’s about 6 volt that’s it. Looks like it has hei so somebody already converted it probably.
it's 12 volts with the key on only. I put the HEI in back about 1974 and hooked the wire that went to the coil
to the HEI knowing it was only 9 volts but it ran so I left it. I'm having ignition problems now, I think, so I thought I would try to find 12 volts to hook it up as a start to my problem. that's what got all this started.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
1. Solid wire is for household or commercial wiring only. Never used or should be used in automotive applications subject to vibration. Are you sure it's solid wire?
2. Factory points wire comes from the firewall plug below the master cylinder.
3. Regulator looks correct to me.

·
Registered
1968 GTO
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1. Solid wire is for household or commercial wiring only. Never used or should be used in automotive applications subject to vibration. Are you sure it's solid wire?
2. Factory points wire comes from the firewall plug below the master cylinder.
3. Regulator looks correct to me.
4. Rubber Plug for AC hoses looks strange to me. Should be on the passenger side of the regulator.
5. We are talking about a 68 GTO aren't we?
Sorry folks, my error, but I'm good for that. the wire is stranded but very stiff, may be cause it's so short and feels that way. when I took everything off the firewall to paint it I left wiring and hoses from the firewall in tact.
I don't think I mounted the regulator in the wrong place but I may have. I'll check tomorrow against the manual.
the points wire is laying on top of the HEI. I had a jumper connecting it to the HEI.
Yes it's a 1968 coupe.
Where do you recommend that I get 12 volts for the HEI if not here??

thanks everyone for the replies...

·
Registered
313 Posts
old post can you run a wire off the spade located in the middle of the fuse block?

·
Registered
1968 GTO
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
old post can you run a wire off the spade located in the middle of the fuse block?
i looked at the fuse block but didn't see a spare spade. I'll check again tomorrow. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Place a fuse tap on the right side of the Direc Signals or Gauge fuses. 12 volts in the Run position.
Use a 12 gauge Pink wire with 10 amp inline fuse if following factory wiring color. Or any color you like lol

Audio equipment Electronic component Electrical wiring Optical fiber cable Engineering

1 - 20 of 34 Posts