Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 1970 Lemans started after 10 plus years of sitting (thanks for the help). I drove it around the block and the engine feels strong, but I was reading about a 383 stroker kit. Has anyone tried this product. I know not many of you have the pontiac 350, but any advise or thoughts would be helpful. Also when I drove it around the block I was unable to shift. I have a Saginaw 4 spd. Could this be the synchro or could it be a linkage problem? It shifts ok when the car is stopped and not turned on. Should get the transmission rebuilt when I have the engine out anyways.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
The only 383 stroker kits I know of are for Chevrolets. As for your shifting, I would check the external linkage first. If the synchros are worn, it will shift, but it will grind a bit unless you double-clutch it or float the gears.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Could be the clutch is hanging up a bit on rust from sitting that long and not releasing the input to let you shift.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
in the late 70's i drove a 69 lemans with a 350, i spent thousands trying to get it to go faster, and could never touch a stock gto!!!! thats why i bought a 69 gto 3 months ago! your 350 would need lots of rebuild work to get to where a stock 400/350hp would be,so maybe you swap?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts