Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just turned 3000, and going in for my first dealer oil change. Have debated about going to an independent, but would really like to cultivate a relationship with a dealer, so we'll see.

Appointment at 1:00 Eastern time; pray for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
noz34me said:
Just turned 3000, and going in for my first dealer oil change. Have debated about going to an independent, but would really like to cultivate a relationship with a dealer, so we'll see.

Appointment at 1:00 Eastern time; pray for me.

You'll do fine. I usually do my own oil, but I am having the dealer do oil changes until the factory warranty expires... (an I may bust for beyond). I just like how the dealer reminds you of things like tire rotations, etc. Plus they can help your baby grow up right :) No offense, but I wouldn't trust my goat to an independent... Just my personal opinions.

Good Luck!

Dan

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good luck! :D You should be fine though. For all the horror stories, we don't hear the plenty of stories where things went as expected.

My first change was done at an independant; but this is a shop I've been taking my cars to for a while. Some of the guys have been at that shop for years, and more importantly for me, they like performance cars, especially muscle cars. Since they have a respect for nice cars and like to see them in good shape, I am pretty confident with that shop.

However, there are some oil change shops where the workers treat it like the McDonald's of oil changes, and just do whatever it takes to get the job done the quickest. :( Unfortunately, the only way you can tell whether a shop is this type or not is by experience.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than it taking 1 1/2 hours, everything went well. $67.00, and they're going to mail me the floor mat hold down clip, since it wasn't in stock. Surprise there. I guess if they don't stock something that cheap, I won't depend on them having anything else in stock either.

Talked to Service Manager, and he said they service about 5 or 6 Goats there. Had to replace the rear end in an '04- - -

·
Registered
210 Posts
guys............it's a fraking oil change! the dealer isn't needed. do it yourself or go to freaking wal-mart or something. i got full syn at wal-mart plus vacuum and tire pressure check for 40 bucks. any bone head can move the pan plate out of the way and loosen a pan drain bolt. save your money. the dealers are rediculous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am on my second new GTO and both were serviced entirely at a Pontiac dealer. Also had a 2002 Trans Am WS6. The mechanics know what they are doing and took great care of my cars. The small extra expense is well worth it. Plus you get to drool over the new cars in the showroom!

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I said this before..... I am letting the dealer change the oil in my GTO. I go to Wal-Mart or K-Mart and a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 for 21.99, and pick up 1 quart for 5.99. and a K&N oil filter... My dealer charges me 14.99 labor. I have it all done for under 50 clams. To let the dealer charge you for filter and oil your looking at close to 70.00.

For me 14.99 isn't worth the hassle. I generally get coupons through the dealer anyway so most I have paid to have it changed so far has been 9.99.

I still change the oil in all my other vehicles.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I did my initial oil change at 500 miles,I always do my own oil and such but I can see where it would be benificial to have the dealer do them because that way you have recorded proof that the maintenance was performed at the recommended intervals

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting inputs.

From what I've seen here about dealers, I think Wal-Mart on the average can do the same kind of job.

I bought the car in another state, so my purpose for having at least one oil change at the dealer was to try to cultivate at least some semblance of a relationship.

I made a appointment, got there 5 minutes ahead of time, and it still took over 1 1/2 hours to get the oil changed. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's just ridiculous IMHO.

I plan on letting the computer prompt me this time, or I'll do it after another 5K miles if it hasn't. Gives me some time to figure out what I'll do.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got my first oil change at 504 miles at a quickie lube place $63.
Got my second one at 3000 at the dealer for $58!
plus if you register here http://www.mygmlink.com/
if you go to a dealer they somehow post ALL the work they do to your car on here. They can't blame any thing going wrong with the car on wal-mart this way in my opion. Talked to the manager at my dealer today and he said that GM is REALLY cracking down on service department BIG TIME.... I dont want GM to have any excuses when my engine needs to be replaced at 35998.5 mile :D
BTW I just had my engine redone on my 91 supra turbo and wal mart put on the WRONG filter! lost oil pressure and all,, went back and got the store manager to write up a thing saying they will replace my engine if it fails in 90 days or 3K miles! Damn thing failed (head gasket AGAIN about a year later)! Wish it was in that 3K thing!

·
Registered
77 Posts
enjracing said:
guys............it's a fraking oil change! the dealer isn't needed. do it yourself or go to freaking wal-mart or something. i got full syn at wal-mart plus vacuum and tire pressure check for 40 bucks. any bone head can move the pan plate out of the way and loosen a pan drain bolt. save your money. the dealers are rediculous.

True that amigo.....do your own oil change.....not only will you save cashola but you can take pride in knowing that the job was done right and you didn't have to use a GM filter. Oh yeah .....unlike my last GM oil change, you can actually refill with the required 6.5 quarts instead of whatever the tech decides is right for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My first dealership oil change was at 686 miles it cost me $ 86.00 and they overfilled by half quart. I will do my own oil changes for now on. Never I repeat NEVER let wal mart work on your vehicle if you do you will be sorry. Not a matter of IF but more like WHEN will they screw up. I already learned a hard lesson from wal mart

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.