Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Well, after flying down to San Diego on the spur of the moment, I am now the owner of a 1967 GTO! Thanks to all who helped me along the way including 05GTO who let me call him with questions. It was much appreciated.
The car is definitely a GTO! It needs much cosmetic work and interior parts, but the drivetrain is correct. Luckily I bought it from a guy who took it to a friend that was an excellent mechanic. He let me put it up on the rack and check the numbers as well as the frame, rust areas (there were none), and was helpful in locating all the engine numbers. While down there, the PHS was faxed at home and I found that the transmission numbers match as well as the engine numbers. The billing history shows YS plus four numbers that matches the numbers on the motor. So, the only thing changed on the motor was the intake manifold and carburetor. Now I have to find a dependable shipper. Can anyone recomment one?
Thanks
Linda
PS will post pics as soon as I get them!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi guys! Well, after flying down to San Diego on the spur of the moment, I am now the owner of a 1967 GTO! Thanks to all who helped me along the way including 05GTO who let me call him with questions. It was much appreciated.
The car is definitely a GTO! It needs much cosmetic work and interior parts, but the drivetrain is correct. Luckily I bought it from a guy who took it to a friend that was an excellent mechanic. He let me put it up on the rack and check the numbers as well as the frame, rust areas (there were none), and was helpful in locating all the engine numbers. While down there, the PHS was faxed at home and I found that the transmission numbers match as well as the engine numbers. The billing history shows YS plus four numbers that matches the numbers on the motor. So, the only thing changed on the motor was the intake manifold and carburetor. Now I have to find a dependable shipper. Can anyone recomment one?
Thanks
Linda
way to go Linda! Congrats! :party:

Can't wait to see the pics.

Russ :cheers

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Thanks
Linda
Congratulations and welcome to the herd!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Home

Boy! What a response! Thanks! 05GTO, you've got some work ahead of you...hah! Very rewarding though right? I could use you when I get my car shipped. Rukee, I need it shipped from Le Mesa, CA to Bellingham, WA. Do you have any references? Pics coming soon. Can't wait to get it home...at least I can drive it until I get the work done.
Linda

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Hi Linda. Sounds like you did excellent! I shipped a car to Michigan from California back in 2000, and it was 1600 dollars at the time. Have you thought about having the car serviced (oil change/fluid changes/check brakes/wheel bearings/cooling system) and DRIVING it back to Washington? You need to do that stuff anyway to drive it, and you'd save a TON of money doing it off the bat and driving it home. It's a two day run, and would be an adventure (if nothing went wrong!). 2 years ago, I flew up to Washington, bought a basket case Model T Ford, rented a Ryder 24 foot truck (Told them I was transporting a farm wagon), and drove back to CA. Truck rental was only 93 bucks for 5 days, ONE WAY! (Turns out they needed the truck brought back to CA). Or, you could rent a car dolly and tow the thing (Risky if you're not experienced.) I forgot the name of the guys I used in 2000, but they were ok if not expensive. Again, excellent buy!!!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Blondie.... Congrats on the purchase. I bought a 67 GTO in Boston MA last week. I was thinking of driving it home to Long Island. Since the car hadn't really been driven lately, and I didn't want to chance a breakdown on the road, I decided to truck it home. I used a local towing service,experianced with classic cars. We drove to Boston, loaded up, and drove home (about 500 miles round trip). The driver used a Ford F-550 flat bed, and the trip went very well.......This kind of truck is more than sufficent, and more cost effective than an enclosed tractor/trailer service. Good Luck with the car, and post those pictures.. :cheers Eric

·
Registered
585 Posts
My bro-in-law had a caddie shipped down from Chicago to Topeka, KS. He did a lot of shopping on the internet and got tons of offers. The price range was large, so be sure to shop around. Best of luck. My son is extremely jealous of your find, that is exactly what he wanted.
:cheers

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Blondie.... Congrats on the purchase. I bought a 67 GTO in Boston MA last week. I was thinking of driving it home to Long Island. Since the car hadn't really been driven lately, and I didn't want to chance a breakdown on the road, I decided to truck it home. I used a local towing service,experianced with classic cars. We drove to Boston, loaded up, and drove home (about 500 miles round trip). The driver used a Ford F-550 flat bed, and the trip went very well.......This kind of truck is more than sufficent, and more cost effective than an enclosed tractor/trailer service. Good Luck with the car, and post those pictures.. :cheers Eric
How much did that cost you Eric??
I too would be tempted to just drive it back. Maybe hit an oil change place before you left and have all the fluids checked and/or changed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Linda,

I think you are probably looking at $1k - $1.5k to ship. It will be cheaper if you use an open carrier. If you go to ebaymotors.com, there are several shipping companies listed there and you get a quote online or by phone quickly.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shipping GTO and pics

Hey guys! I found a shipper open carrier for $675.00. It would have been cheaper to ship to Seattle, but that's a 100 miles away. Being so far north, some drivers don't like to go that far, but I found one. I'm going through Direct Express Shipping so we'll see how that goes. I too thought about driving back, but there's a lot of snow in Oregon and Washington right now and didn't want to get stuck at "joe's garage" somewhere on I5. The car's drivetrain had totally been gone through and runs great, but the brakes seemed kind of soft if you know what I mean....
I'm looking for some parts, i.e. steering wheel, ashtray, radio, antenna and some stock rims if anybody knows/has any. I'll also post on the parts forum. I'm attaching some pics. Let me know what you think...

Also, Jeff, the data plate says it was made in DF. I know this is Fremont, but what does the D stand for?
Linda

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Hi Linda. Look again at the data plate when you get the car. It should be a BF for Fremont. There were no "D"'s. Good call on the snow hazard. The transport price is very reasonable. Plus, you got an extremely good deal on the car. I put 14x7 Ralley II rims on my '67 about 20 years ago....I think they look better than the Ralley I's on that year. You can get used 14 or 15 inch Ralley II's fairly easily for little cash. New repro trim rings and center caps are readily available. They even make repro Ralley rims in all kinds of sizes. If it were me, I'd go with 15's and run a 225/70 series tire. (But I'm Old School...no ghetto 20 inchers for ME!!) What color is your interior? I'll check around for steering wheel and ashtray, etc. The stock AM-FM radios are expensive, but an original AM unit is fairly cheap. Keep us posted with your progress, and again, Congratulations!!!
Jeff

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
paint color?

I didn't see my reply, so if this is a duplicate, sorry. Hey guys! Thanks Jeff for the advice. I was so excited when I looked at the car, I didn't get much sleep, so my eyes were kindo of funny, if you know what I mean. I swear it was a DF, but it could've been a B. I won't be able to see it until it gets up here. Thanks for checking for those parts for me. I've been looking around for used. I'd prefer a used radio and antennae. I do have a couple of questions though. My PHS as it says what from what I can read off the faxed version that the tires were F70 14 red-white oval. Were these a special red line tire? What kind of rims came stock on this car? I know the rims are not original. Sorry for the stupid question. I'm still new at this.:seeya:

Also, the paint code said SS. I know this is champagne metallic, upper and lower. The car is now maroon with a black vinyl top. do you recommend taking off the vinyl top (to check for rust and to make it stock)? Or do you think painting it a really cool black with a hint of color like dark purple would be nice? Let me know your opinion. I kind of like the black idea. Also looking for the driver's side door lower trim on the lower end. Has all other except for that piece. Do you know any web sites I could check?
Thanks
Linda

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
I didn't see my reply, so if this is a duplicate, sorry. Hey guys! Thanks Jeff for the advice. I was so excited when I looked at the car, I didn't get much sleep, so my eyes were kindo of funny, if you know what I mean. I swear it was a DF, but it could've been a B. I won't be able to see it until it gets up here. Thanks for checking for those parts for me. I've been looking around for used. I'd prefer a used radio and antennae. I do have a couple of questions though. My PHS as it says what from what I can read off the faxed version that the tires were F70 14 red-white oval. Were these a special red line tire? What kind of rims came stock on this car? I know the rims are not original. Sorry for the stupid question. I'm still new at this.:seeya:

Also, the paint code said SS. I know this is champagne metallic, upper and lower. The car is now maroon with a black vinyl top. do you recommend taking off the vinyl top (to check for rust and to make it stock)? Or do you think painting it a really cool black with a hint of color like dark purple would be nice? Let me know your opinion. I kind of like the black idea. Also looking for the driver's side door lower trim on the lower end. Has all other except for that piece. Do you know any web sites I could check?
Thanks
Linda
Hey Linda,

When I spoke with you the other day you quoted the code “BF” to me when you read the info from the data plate. The wheels will be listed on the PHS report, there are 2 places I know of that make redlines out of radials. I’ll list them below;

Radios, Antennas and many other hard to find parts can be found on e-bay if you cannot find them on the below sites.

As far as painting, IMHO, I like to restore my cars back to original whenever possible, my 67 does not have the original paint, motor or transmission and will never be worth as much as a correct 67.

I’ve listed the sites in order of my preference and ease of use.

The Parts Place Inc.

Year One

Original Parts Group

The Paddock

Ames Performance

Performance Years

Coker Tires

Diamondback Tires

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Hi Linda. Thanks for the update. The "Red-white oval" tires are actually redline, wide OVAL tires. Must be a typo. "Wide Ovals" were a popular performance tire in that era. I recommend the Ralley II rims (They're on my convertible in the picture) They are reasonably priced, durable, available in all sizes, and look great. As for color, it's up to you. My '67 was a code G gold car, in and out. I redid it that way in '86, and it looked blah....I did it in Burgundy with a parchment nterior in '93, and it really turns heads. Now, with these cars pulling in so much$$$, I might be inclined to stick with the original color. Up to you. I know I enjoy my convertible way more as a burgundy car, but I'm not trying to sell it, either. By all means, LOSE the vinyl top. They're water traps. The fastback roof looks way meaner without the vinyl and trim. Check on that code SS. I had a Silver '66 hardtop with black interior that looked plain wicked. That SS champagne with no vinyl top, and black interior would look really nice. But, then, so would a really dark blackberry/brandywine color like you mentioned. Dark colors just plain look great on '67's!! (The body has to be razor straight, though. White, Gold, Silver all hide flaws in the bodywork, and are much less labor intensive to apply due to this. Black is the hardest color to prep a car for!) Take Care!
Jeff

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Hi again, Linda. Idea for color choosing: go the the "Ultimate GTO Picture Site" on the web. They have pictures of every year, in every color. Click on "Dream Car" on the top left of the screen, and you can pull up photos of your '67 GTO in any color. There are a few Champagne hardtops there. They have the Ralley II rims, even. Check it out. See which color you like best! It's a great website to check out. I dunno, though.....Starlight Black with a red pinstripe, red-capped lugnuts, and redline tires is starting to sound pretty good.......
Jeff

1 - 20 of 63 Posts