Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Just got myself a 1966 and have a question about upgrading the speakers. Previous owner bought some kickpanels from Classic Car Audio and the emergency break wouldnt allow enough room for installation. Question is - for those of you who have done this, what speakers did you use and how did you go about installing - if you cut into original kick panel, is there enough room behind there to mount a speaker?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I did this on both my '65 and '67 GTO's with the original panels. Required no cutting at all. Was able to remove the panel, and attach a decent size speaker. The air grilles even snapped back in place. Totally invisible, totally stock looking. You can no longer use the vents, though. I've since removed the speakers from the '67 to restore the vent feature,and installed a dual stereo speaker from AMES in the stock dash position. Doesn't sound as good, but I have fresh air. The '65 still has the vent speaker conversion from 1987, and still working fine. No need for the fancy kick panels at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts