Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is common knowledge that as an engine gains mileage, it begins to lose its kick. My question(s) pertain to exactly what the major issues are under given conditions. (2006 Goat)

Condition 1: Revving without load, as if at a stop light or in a garage. What would be the possible wear effects of this action?

Condition 2: At 50,000 miles, what would be the early signs that an engine has been misused or abused? Tranny is in great shape so that can be ruled out.

Condition 3: If a car was broken in too agressively and therefore burns a lot of oil now...is the culprit the piston rings/seals, or is there more involved?

Lastly...how expensive would it be to correct any of these issues should they exist? I know a buddy with a shop who could do piston rings/seals for cheap and need to know what else may possible need to be done. Thanks to all :cheers

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
1) stretched/ tweaked rods and rod bearings.
2) noise, oil consumption, loss of power
3) burning oil would indicate worn piston rings or valve guides extremely bad. Using the wrong oil or cheap a** oil can cause excessive burning as well. To rule out the possibility of the oil control rings being stuck to the pistons causing the oil burning, I would try a can or two of the Justis brother's Engine Tune-Up, which will remove the carbon and unstick those oil control rings.

If I was taking the bottom end apart to rebuild, I may consider buying forged pistons and having the rotating assembly balanced.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Rukee...in your first answer, how commonly does that occur. I mean, I know it can happen but what are the odds.

·
Super Moderator
2,639 Posts
It is common knowledge that as an engine gains mileage, it begins to lose its kick. My question(s) pertain to exactly what the major issues are under given conditions. (2006 Goat)

Condition 1: Revving without load, as if at a stop light or in a garage. What would be the possible wear effects of this action?

The only problem I see with revving the engine without a load is excessive engine heat. Simply because the car is not moving thus no cooler ambient air flowing across the radiator and cooling the coolant. Then the excessive heat will began to take it's toll on the engine components. Mainly the rotating assembly (e.i the bearings due to loss of oil viscosity).

Condition 2: At 50,000 miles, what would be the early signs that an engine has been misused or abused? Tranny is in great shape so that can be ruled out.

Mileage really doesn't dictate if an engine has been misused or abused. I really don't beat the crap out of my car but I did develop a slight knock with 30,xxx miles on the clock. Early signs can be excessive oil consumption, engine knock due to increased piston slap (broken rings, chipped piston, faulty wrist pin, faulty main bearings, etc.

Condition 3: If a car was broken in too agressively and therefore burns a lot of oil now...is the culprit the piston rings/seals, or is there more involved?

I really don't think that someone's opinion of broken in too aggressively or improperly applies to every single engine. Some may be okay and some may not be okay. That's just the nature of all things that are mechanical. Faulty piston rings are normally the first thing to look at when there is excessive oil usage. Well at least for me.

Lastly...how expensive would it be to correct any of these issues should they exist? I know a buddy with a shop who could do piston rings/seals for cheap and need to know what else may possible need to be done. Thanks to all :cheers

Expensive is dependant on how for the engine gets torn into. If pistons, piston rings and all engine seals/gaskets are the only things being replaced then it shouldn't be too much. But if it's done right with a complete tear down, hot tank, cylinder boring and honing (if necessary), replacement of all bearings (cam and crank), refreshing the heads, etc. then it's gonna push the price up to maybe around a few thousand dollars or so. Probably around $3,000 - $4,000 depending on the shop.
Hope that helped some. I'm sure others will have different suggestions.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are incredible. Good information. Thank you. Any other opinions are still more than welcome

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts

I have to agree with 6QTS11OZ
1) More engine damage happens at engine start up and then when the engine idles for long periods.
2) If an engine has been misused or abuse you will know right away, spun bering, smoke, knocking, rod hanging out the side of the block, ect.
3) Mixed opinions on this one, I grew up on the saying drive it how its ment to be driven. Thats what I have done and all my cars and engines I've rebuilt runs really well. Engines are mostly broken in before you drive it off the dealer lots. Most of the don't do this and that is breaking in proceadurs are for the breaks and drivetrain. If your burning oil most of the time it if from the rings, LS2's came with low tension rings, due to differant engine tollances, some burned alittle more than others.
This Justice brothers stuff...where can i get it??
I've never heard of Justice brothers but I've heard of Justice Pete that is a Pedder Suspension package.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
For what it's worth, everytime I build an engine, I take it out and lay it to the wood and let her eat a bit. If it's going to fly apart, I want it to do it for me, not the paying customer!!
I know dang well they're gunna do it as soon as they get out of sight. :D

You can get the Justice Brothers stuff at most any auto parts store.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Used Zmax today...Pricey, but good stuff. Not sure I needed it but better safe then sorry. I wanna make sure my baby feels good inside ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts