Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some opinions. I just bought a 66 GTO 4 speed roller. Will the value of the car be higher with a period correct WT engine or a later year 400? The car will never be matching numbers and it's going to be hard to find a date code correct block (aug or sept 1965). Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
It will be the same in my opinion. No matter how good it is it won't reach the value of a POAA proper champion. Still knowing that (and I'm in the same boat with a 66 short block in my 65) I feel the best way to back up the personal "bet" is to try and keep it as authentic looking as posible. Things like OEM hoses, clamps and decals, repro battery or cover, stock chrome valve covers, well, you get the idea. The work is the same, the cost is sometimes even less, yet as you head out to your favorite car hangouts and pop the hood it looks like it's supposed to. "Damn this car is like totally restored and he drives it." Even if you focus on period popular mods (what some call 'day2' cars) it's a better choice. I was there after the fact, but not long after, and I'm in that age group that has $$$$ to spend. Most of those like me appeciate that more and 20" wheels a lot less. I hope that makes sense, and clearly this is my personal opinion. I'm also in the business so I hear a lot of ideas and dreams too. Good luck, but where's the picture?:cool:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I would pay more money for a '66 GTO with the wrong 389 in it than if it had a 400. I'd pay even more if it had the wrong 421 in it. 666bbl pretty much nailed it. The guys with money to spend (us old guys) want it to look pretty much period/day 2. Fast and Furious cars get the big thumbs down from us.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Seeing it will never be "original", I would go with more cubic inches as this sells. Get a 400 block 1974 or earlier, and get a complete rotating assembly to achieve 461CI -which is a popular and reasonable investment. The GTO is synonymous with horsepower and speed.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts