Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked this question but could not give an answer,
Our 65 GTO is Black and the stock color was Tiger Gold.
How much would the value of the car be increased by painting it back to the factory color.
I know the increase would not even come close to covering the cost of the paint job, So I have no plans to try and do this for rersale, someone just asked me.
The car is a driver with, AT.PS.PS.AC.TW. 4brl Also the vinyl top woup still be black instaed of Beige.
Well as soon as I get the dash put back in I will be enjoying the nice weather here in the south.
thanks for your imput, My naibor wants to know

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
How much would the value of the car be increased by painting it back to the factory color.
I know the increase would not even come close to covering the cost of the paint job, So I have no plans to try and do this for rersale, someone just asked me.
The car is a driver with, AT.PS.PS.AC.TW. 4brl Also the vinyl top woup still be black instaed of Beige.
Well as soon as I get the dash put back in I will be enjoying the nice weather here in the south.
Only two reliable answers to this question that I know of:

1) Get a committed buyer now, then be a jerk and back out of the deal, have it repainted, then sell it.

2) Tell your neighbor you don't care what it's worth to someone else because you're never going to sell it.

:D

Bear

·
Registered
944 Posts
Would depend on what the buyer's looking for. I would not care about it being 100% correct because I would drive it and enjoy it. For me, I'd be willing to pay more for it in black - it's one of those colors most love.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
someone just asked me

I know there are people in the car hobby that keep up with the what things cost and what is rare ect.
Just something I dont know much about when my naibor and I where having a conversation about all the cars we have had.
And the car looks great in black, Just looks BA as the daughter says.
And I am sure the resale factor is why it was painted black and back to TG, that is why the wife bought it. She wanted a black mucsel car.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Black just plain looks better than Tiger gold or any other gold, IMO. To me, your car would be MORE desirable black. My Signet Gold '67 convertible in the avatar is painted 1968 Flambeau Burgundy because the gold looked so bland. Keep the car the way YOU want it. It's YOUR car!!! Your neighbor needs is own classic to worry about.

·
Registered
475 Posts
unless your goal is a numbers matching restoration i would not paint it gold.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seems like the resale would only be positively effected if the entire car was a numbers matching survivor. Otherwise, black beats gold in most peoples eyes. Especially speaking of this genre of cars.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Black and Red will get you the most and sell fastest on re-sale, as stated the only value effect would be if it was a numbers matching car for originality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts