Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
can you name me a glue or sealing adhesive for fixing the cork seal into the valve cover ?
happy eastern, regards: Peter 馃樂

Registered
1967 400/400
This is likely the best that there is. I have used it for more than ten years, without gaskets, on my auto trans, diff covers, and gasoline seals. It's not your ordinary permatex.

Registered
1967 400/400
I would also read this thread, because if your PCV system is not right (as was the case with my Vette and GTO, then you'll have oil leaks everywhere, REGARDLESS of how well you seal.

Registered
1967 400/400
Using Ultra Grey on the VC side of my VC cork gaskets, I was able to stop my leaks, until the PCV issues overruled it. I've since fixed the PCV and switched to Edelbrock Pontiac Gaskets. They're super thick and much tougher than cork.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot, I hope, I'll find something equal in germany or amazon.
I also have these aluminium valve covers with the PONTIAC letters on top.
Which gasket is needed or will be the best for these covers ? rubber ?
regards: Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have a part number (edelbrock gasket )?
Can't find it at amazon....

Registered
1967 400/400
Aaaah.....馃槑 thanks, I'm an old blind man.....
Well, then you probaly wont notice all of the oil puddles under your car! Seriously though, pay attention to the PCV system!!! It caused massive leaks for me. What breathers are you running?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't have oil leaks, pcv is working well, I have an original (?) breather at the valve cover.
I just want to change an old valve cover (still no leaks) for a new chromed one.

Registered
1967 400/400
I didn't have oil leaks, pcv is working well, I have an original (?) breather at the valve cover.
I just want to change an old valve cover (still no leaks) for a new chromed one.
Got it. When you said that they were ALUMINUM, i WORRIED

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
One more question:
My new chromed valve covers (the same like the painted old ones I drove the last years) have a 1" diameter hole, the other cover have the bayonet lock for the breather/oil filler cap.
The left cover hole was/is covered with a (pastic or maybe a hard rubber-) plug, the driver side is with the breather cap.
Where can I get such a closed plug for the 1" diameter hole ?
What was stock equiped ?

Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
Is this something like what you are looking for? They use to be found in the help section of the auto parts store Dorman product 82578.

Registered
with cork gaskets I don't use any sealant on my valve covers. they soak up oil as your drive and "seal" themselves. works good for me, just dont over torque and as Army says, PCV system has gotta be sorted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
So I have glued the cork seal into the covers (because the seal was not exacty in form, so it will not stay in place....)
This is also the cover with the 1" diameter hole, where I need a plug (without hole). regards: Peter

Registered
1967 400/400
Yes. That's why you most always have to glue the gasket to the VC side. My cork gaskets worked great, against the head, without sealant, until I had PCV issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts