Pontiac GTO Forum banner

valve cover

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  geeteeohguy 
#1 ·
I need to plug the hole in my passenger side valve cover.
This is where the metal hose went to the air cleaner.
can I use a breather cap with the rubber gasket that's in the cover?
there's just a piece of tape over the hole now and it hasnt blown off yet so I assume there is little pressure there.
ideas?
thanks as always
Tk

#2 ·
You could use a breather cap as you described... Be aware though that you need to have some path for crank-case pressure to vent, otherwise it can do things like cause leaks by "pushing out" seals and gaskets. Is there some reason you don't want to use the original vent tube?

Bear

#6 ·
:agree with what Rukee said. Also Top, my original air cleaner for my 69 (which did -not- have an AIR system on it) still had the tube from the passenger side valve cover to the rear of the air cleaner ---- and so does the reproduction Ram Air system I'm running now.

Bear

#7 ·
I was on a road trip from Wichita to Omaha about ten years ago when my beather fell off of the valve cover. I could smell the oil burning on the headers. I stuffed a red rag into the hole and continued on. A few miles down the road, I had oil coming out of the right side of the hood next to the fender, and up on the windshield. The pressure pushed the dipstick out of the tube, and pumped at least a quart of oil all over the underside of the hood. That was a great trip.

#8 ·
OK Top: my Federal '67 GTO has an oil filler on the drivers side valve cover, and that is also the breather cap. Federal GTO's of this year had a solid rubber plug in the passenger side valve cover. The vendors have them. Use that, and a stock or repro Federal spec (vented) filler cap on the other cover and it will look correct, won't leak, and will breath fine.

#11 ·
Ive just had a piece of masking tape over the passenger valve cover hole , and although there is a bit over an hour on the motor, the tape has not been blown off.
the drivers side cover has no holes in it.
Is this a problem?
thanks as always

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.