Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm coming home the other night and a Jeep Grand Cherokey is a couple car lengths in front and a lane over. I'm not paying a lot of attention, but I note that his wheels look like they are on fire - like there's a flash of natural gas or alcohol flame (very blue). Traffic co-operates and I get a little closer at a stop light and I can now see that its some sort of blue light, probably on the valve stem.

Now I'm not certain this would be something I'd put on my GTO, but it was an interesting effect, and I am immediately attracted to the blueness. Anybody seen these around? How do they get power for the bulb? Certainly there's not a wire. ???

---Larry

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw these at Best Buy. 28$ will get you four. The ones I saw were offered in many colors (blue, green, white) and motion activated with a battery. Wonder what the battery life is? My 13 year old son saw them and really thinks we need them on "our" GOAT. I have not seen them on a vehicle, but they sound really interesting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't waste your money on them at best buy. They are called Tire Flys
They've been around for Motorcycles for about 4 or 5 years now. They work off a small watch type battery and die after a few weeks to a month. Depends on how much you drive. The Light works by movement, so when you stop the light will stop after a minute. IMO I think they are junk but if you want a set check out ebay, type in tire flys or valve stem lights. More than likely they will be cheaper there. You can also find them at Auto Zone and Advanced Auto parts and any Motorcycle shop can probably order them for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its a slippery slope, people. Today: valve stem lights. Tomorrow: spinning bling bling rims, hydraulic lifts and fuzzy dice. Just say no! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
EdwardC said:
Its a slippery slope, people. Today: valve stem lights. Tomorrow: spinning bling bling rims, hydraulic lifts and fuzzy dice. Just say no! :rolleyes:
Rice, rice, baby. What's next coffee can mufflers, triple decker wings, unpainted body kits with 14 inch steel wheels and covers, NOS or Type-R stickers, or maybe we should just do a Honda engine swap and make our goats FWD. :rolleyes: :rofl:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its the BLUE. You can see my car, what you can't see in the picture is that I took the paint chip from the dealer to Home Depot, had it color matched and painted the trim of my house GTO Impulse Blue.

Its no secret that if you want Larry to buy something paint it blue. My wife saw me starring at another woman at a Xmas party. Was she upset? No, she knew I was caught by her blue shirt (very nearly Impulse Blue too!)

Had I seen these in any other color I would have been curious how they worked (looked awful bright for a watch battery), but not so tempted to put them on my car...

Okay, okay... someone slap me!

---Larry

·
Registered
386 Posts
LarryM said:
Its the BLUE. You can see my car, what you can't see in the picture is that I took the paint chip from the dealer to Home Depot, had it color matched and painted the trim of my house GTO Impulse Blue.

Its no secret that if you want Larry to buy something paint it blue. My wife saw me starring at another woman at a Xmas party. Was she upset? No, she knew I was caught by her blue shirt (very nearly Impulse Blue too!)

Had I seen these in any other color I would have been curious how they worked (looked awful bright for a watch battery), but not so tempted to put them on my car...

Okay, okay... someone slap me!

---Larry
There's something very distrubing about this.
:willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
590 Posts
We run them on my nephew's race car. He's 13. He runs a mini-hot rod on dirt.

www.wildwestracing.com

They don't last too long and don't weather well, but they're cool on the track at night.

They'll get you pulled over down here. Don't know the legality status.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah Baby!!!! 22" Lo Pros all around, spinners and, oh yes, lights on the valve stems. My list of mods is rapidly changing. I am going to hooook it uuppp!!!!!! :cheers

·
Registered
116 Posts
LarryM said:
??? What would the legality problem be?

---Larry
It depends on how bright they are. I know that neon underneath a vehicle that's blue,red, or white is illegal here because those are the colors used by emergency vehicles.

·
Registered
590 Posts
LarryM said:

---Larry
Here, those neon license plate holders and underbody light kits are illegal,
IF you're driving down the road with them on.

I guess there a distraction, that's all.

yes, i see it, spinners with centrifugally activated neon lights.

HUBBER GLO, YO :rofl:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Illegal in Michigan. Pretty much any lights you add are, the law is fairly vague and they use it to nail anyone with extra lights. Blue, Red on the front, strobes are expressly prohibited....

They are silly and distracting anyway...

·
Registered
161 Posts
LarryM said:

---Larry
They are also illegal here and in VA. No blue or red lights can be vissible while looking at the car from the front. This also makes the lights in the windshield washers illegal. It gives PD a perfect opportunity to pull you over.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, I got popped for those stupid washer lights about 4 years ago. The officer wrote the ticket for "impersonating an emergency vehicle"....that was such [email protected]#! I took them out as soon as I got home and threw them in the trash. Biggest waste of $10 I ever spent. Thank god I never bought those damn valve stem lights!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts