Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy all
I have a fuel tank in need of flushing out, so I have by passed the feed and removed the vapor return line from the fuel pump and taped it up.
I have a boat gas can in the trunk with an external filter going to the f. pump.
I tried to crank the motor with the line to the carb disconnected to help get the polluted tank gas out of the pump and carb line but no fuel came out.
OK.........I hooked up the carb line and the car started fine........
BUT, after a couple minutes fuel started spraying out of the taped off vapor return line (on the pump).:eek:
Im guessing the fuel pump uses the vapor return to vent excess pressure back to the tank???
Can I hook the vrl back up without bad gas getting into my jury rigged system?
thanks as always
:cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Where on EARTH have you been? There was a whole thread dedicated to your disappearance and possible demise! Yikes! Step one: get a fire extinguisher. Step 2: make sure its dated, rated, and fully charged. Step 3: get rid of the funky gas and install the real gas tank and install the fuel lines as they should be: factory. You need to do it anyway, why not now. I have seen more stuff burned up and blown up doing what you're doing. Not trying to be harsh, just trying to save your car and house. Vapor return is to keep the fuel circulating, which cools it and prevents vapor lock. It is not standard, but is optional with GTO's that have a heavy duty cooling system for A/C, trailer towing, etc. Vapor return is a Good Thing. Welcome back!!!

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gee................I'z been crabbing and salmon fishing, while saving what $'s I could to get my gas tank and brakes "fixed"

we're having it towed to the shop tuesday :)
appreciate your concern and good advise.
:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
TK, How much are you gonna be charged for a clean out job on the old tank....a new one is around $200...they are easy to install also. Might be something to consider as your tank could be rusty from condensation inside, and never be the same as new.........E

·
Registered
475 Posts
Howdy all
I have a fuel tank in need of flushing out, so I have by passed the feed and removed the vapor return line from the fuel pump and taped it up.
I have a boat gas can in the trunk with an external filter going to the f. pump.
I tried to crank the motor with the line to the carb disconnected to help get the polluted tank gas out of the pump and carb line but no fuel came out.
OK.........I hooked up the carb line and the car started fine........
BUT, after a couple minutes fuel started spraying out of the taped off vapor return line (on the pump).:eek:
Im guessing the fuel pump uses the vapor return to vent excess pressure back to the tank???
Can I hook the vrl back up without bad gas getting into my jury rigged system?
thanks as always
:cheers
there is pressure in that line. you cant tape it off. you have to use hose and hose clamps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts