Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us obviously know the proper use of the clutch, but I noticed after reading this that I do abuse my clutch somewhat with laziness or poor driving habits. One such example is that I tend to downshift a lot, but fail to rev match the engine speed of the lower gear.

Its a very good read....

CLICK HERE

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most of us obviously know the proper use of the clutch, but I noticed after reading this that I do abuse my clutch somewhat with laziness or poor driving habits. One such example is that I tend to downshift a lot, but fail to rev match the engine speed of the lower gear.

Its a very good read....

CLICK HERE
EXCELLENT! Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The downshifting with the rev-matching is called "Double Clutching"
Definitely a must for anything with a manual transmission!
GREAT POST...Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
So wait a minute...This may be a dumb question but I'm wondering..The skip-shift programmed in our cars from 1st to 4th..Does that add "Extra" Weight and pressure to our clutch system??
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
Actually, double clutching is just that, the clutch has to be engaged and disengaged twice with every gear shift. This was required on older vehicles and even some newer trucks before synchronized manuals were standard. An older Army truck I drove required this, and it was a PITA. Just try doing it for the hell of it. Shift into gear, then disengage clutch and out of gear, then engage clutch while in neutral, then disengage clutch and put in gear, then engage clutch. Yeah - fun.

For new cars, you don’t have to match the RPM unless you’re really up there. Even then, you should let the engine RPM drop before taking it out of gear for a downshift. I don’t care what that post says, but normal driving should not reach an RPM level that would be any problem for a downshift. If you hit your head on the steering wheel when you downshift, yeah, you’re doing it wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts