Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm (just) experiencing this same exact problem immediately following the replacement of the gaskets in the K&N CAI. So, how the CAI relates to the engine stalling because of an electrical draw might make zero sense but it sure is the same problem I'm having right now... Will check for air leaks tonight and will also clean the MAF sensor...

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
321goat, I moved your post to a new thread rather than resurrecting an old one....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to report back (I know i'm pretty much talking to myself here but that's okay) in case anyone has this problem as well here is what fixed it for me: Removed the K&N CAI and throttle body, the MAF also came out as part of the CAI removal. Picked up some MAF Cleaner from the boys down at Pep and gave the MAF a solid cleaning, then gave the throttle body a good shot of carb cleaner. Put the car back together and gave it a test-run at which the car shook violently... really violently, immediately threw the check engine light so I shut her down. I then realized a MAF soaked in cleaning fluid won't sense air flow too well... Let the car sit (to dry) overnight, started her in the morning and she puuuuurrrrrrs. Cleared the code and it never came back.

Another quick point: I had noticed my car had been very thirsty lately and on my drive home last night I monitored the mileage gauge (as accurate as it is or isn't ) and I was getting terrible, terrible mileage - Cruise set at 65 I was lucky to maintain 18-19mpg. This morning on the way in, Cruise set at 70 and I was maintaining a steady 27-28mpg (car is an m6).

Sorry to ramble, thought it might help someone someday... maybe.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
Not uncommon. I went through dozens of K&N filters and quite a few would come through with little puddles of oil in their wrapping. I used to open the package and lay them on bath towels in the sun to wick the excess oil out. If you ever oil it yourself that's what I'd advise to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts