Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i finished restoring my 67 gto after 2 painful years of work, the drive train was done on car when i bought it , i had to everything else,it was a beat up drag car in boxes if you could imagine,the problem is i took it out and unleashed the 500hp and burnt rubber in all 3 gears a few times what a rush ,never been around something like that ,i took it for a mild ride and the trans went out completely,and five minutes later it worked again for a 1/4 mile or so and went out ,it was making a winding noise , when it sits a little it works again, i took it out yesterday and fluid is red and not burnt ,it is a 400 b&m trans, there is a pile of graphite type silver flakey in corner of pan , i did not change fluid before driving car "forgot" any one have any sugestions of what may be going on before i tear trans down which i have never done , thanks all sugestions apreciated

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rebuilding an automatic is a tough job. I'm a pretty good wrench and I've built four of 'em. Actually, it was only two, because I had to build both of 'em twice. There's no way of knowing what you got or what shape it was in when it went into the car. It is time to start looking for a new one. The Pontiac bell housng pattern is different than Chevrolet, so you need a Pontiac trans, Try eBay for an online rebuilder or used unit. There are several on there now, ranging from $ 150 to $ 650. Search for "Pontiac turbo 400" or "Pontiac th400". The tools required to buid your own are expensive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts