Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again.. Back to my VIN tag decoding... I think I have exhausted my efforts with much help form our audience with the exception of one number.. Even broke out the Zazarine restoration guide. Maybe I'm blind but cant find this one number field.. For my 65 the Time Build Code shows 12D 1. So 4th week in December of 64 was the build time.. Whats the 1 designate? VIN Tag attached.. I must be reading this wrong..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
If I had to guess, 1st Shift. Otherwise, I have no clue as some numbers will never be known as they are in-plant numbers specific to the assembly process or tracking at "that" factory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had to guess, 1st Shift. Otherwise, I have no clue as some numbers will never be known as they are in-plant numbers specific to the assembly process or tracking at "that" factory.
K thanks Jim. Every reference I find doesn't show that added digit.. Shift reference is as good a guess as any.. Peculiar though..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just checked my 1965, it has 05D 1 , May 4th week 1965. Sonoma says his is 12D-1 as December 1964. Question is, what would be the date code for the first 65 gto to be built? 06/07 of 1964

·
Registered
164 Posts
Production for the next year models would usually ramp up mid to late August depending on the plant.

The build date on the Fisher body plate can be up to a week or more before the car rolled out of the factory although 3-4 days was the norm.
The body plate build date is when the car body started production at the Fisher body plant and was one of the first items assembled to the body. After the body components were assembled, it would then go into a body bank waiting its turn down the assembly line. Depending upon availability of assembly line options, that waiting period could take several days. The date that the car actually rolled out of the plant usually corresponds with the Invoice date listed on the PHS documents. Thats when the factory billed the dealer.
The 1 or 2 after the build date has never been determined. Some think it may be the shift that started production, others think it may have something to do with inner workings at Fisher Body. Whatever it was, it was stamped at Fisher Body before the car entered the assembly line. Some plants would add additional numbers or codes into the data plate. These were punched, not stamped and were usually in the corner of the plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts