Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this subject has probably been beat into the ground but I am in the process of deciding which air conditioning unit to put in my non a/c 66 convertible. There are pro's and con's on each brand and I am leaning towards the Vintage or Classic. I have called each vendor but receive fuzzy answers. My question is in regards to the fit with respect to the radio and speaker. I am told by the vendors that I may lose the speaker under the dash. Currently, there is an aftermarket speaker installed that is a smaller than the original as to both the diameter and the depth/height.of the speaker is less. It appears to me that the units should fit especially given the size of the radio which actually appears to be more of problem but not sure of that either.

My question is to anyone who has installed one of these in a 66 and is the speaker or radio is an issue because I would like to retain both. I am having the a/c unit installed by a automotive a/c technician who says he will install whatever unit I choose but has recommended the Hurricane Old Air Products. Thoughts/Comments? Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
We installed a Vintage Air system in a 67 (should be the same as a 66 underdash) and had no problems retaining the front speaker. Very nice installation. Not familiar with Classic Air or Hurricane for a GTO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vintage allows ample room for the factory under-dash speaker in my '65. I DON'T like how much of the evaporator/blower shows below the dash, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts