Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching options to get A/C reinstalled in my 67 Lemans (previous owner removed most of the under the hood parts).

I talked to a local shop that is listed a distributor/installer with vintage air and they said it would take them approximately 30 hours (give or take) to install the kit. Does this seem reasonable? I looked at the installation manuals and it doesn't seem that difficult but I'm notorious for underestimating projects.

Driving around in 90-110 degree weather isn't fun :mad2:

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Rex,

30 hours sounds high; however, I paid around $800 to have mine installed 6 or 7 years ago. You might call Vintage Air to get their thoughts on the average installation.

Rick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up doing some googling last night and found a few forum threads about the install times. A couple shops have installed them in 10-12 hours and a few people did it themselves over a week working in the evenings.

I'll definitely be calling around now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Installed mine myself in my '66. Really not that complicated if you have the bracket for the compressor. Hardest part for me was that mine wasn't a factory air car and I didn't really care for the bar style duct/vent that comes with the kit. I bought stock dash vents separately and cut out holes for them in the dash to make it it look stock. Crimping the coolant lines isn't bad either, but again you have to have the tools to do it. Otherwise a local ac shop will do it for you once everything else is complete and it just needs the hoses connected and the system charged. I'm not a fan of others touching my girl though 😏 so I definitely prefer to do everything I can myself. Did it in a weekend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
This is a ten to 20 hour job max. 10 hours or less for an auto tech, and 20 for a neophyte with a book in his hand going one step at a time. The local guy you talked to is padding his invoice pretty heavily....30 hours is almost a full 40 hour work week. NUTS. I would run away from that guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts