Pontiac GTO Forum banner

What are the Best Car Chase Movies? (multiple choices allowed)

• Bad Boys II

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • The Blues Brothers

Votes: 34 18.2%
  • The Bourne Supremacy

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Bullitt

Votes: 68 36.4%
  • Cannonball Run

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Days of Thunder

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Driver

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • The Fast and Furious

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • The French Connection

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Gold Finger (James Bond)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Gone in 60 seconds (1974)

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Gone in 60 seconds (2000)

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • Jade

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • The Matrix Reloaded

• The Rock

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Ronin

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • Smokey and the Bandit

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • Sword Fish

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • The Transporter

Votes: 16 8.6%
  • True Lies

• The Vanishing Point

Votes: 20 10.7%
  • Mad Max

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • The Italian Job (1969 version)

• The Italian Job (Recent Version)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny, I've been wanting to see Ronin for years -- and just saw it for the first time the other day. There's some good stuff in there.

Also like the The French Connection chase, too. In fact, that movie was so low budget -- the crew basically told the stunt driver to take off down the street and see what happened.

As a result, a couple of the accidents in it were real!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ronin was the first movie that made me realize Audis could be cool and I would like to have an S8.

BTW, I believe John Frankenheimer directed both Ronin and the French Connection. All of the stunt driving in Ronin was done in real time (not sped up to appear faster) and I believe one of the Andrettis did much of it, according to Frankenheimer's directors commentary in the movie.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My vote was for Bullitt. The chase scence between Steve McQueen and the guys in the charger was awesome. I pinged the above site to include Vanishing Point, another high speed classic. The white Dodge Challenger
in that movie did some cool high speed stuff.

I am probably dating myself here, have you guys heard of a flick called
Two-Lane Blacktop, circa 1971. It was not a car chase movie so much as it was a street race movie. It had a nasty 55 chevy running a 427 topped with
a dual carb tunnelram. Kinda old school, compared the new GTO,
but cool just the same.

diverdan said:
Ronin was the first movie that made me realize Audis could be cool and I would like to have an S8.

BTW, I believe John Frankenheimer directed both Ronin and the French Connection. All of the stunt driving in Ronin was done in real time (not sped up to appear faster) and I believe one of the Andrettis did much of it, according to Frankenheimer's directors commentary in the movie.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Bullitt chase scene, in some ways, is pretty lame. There are a few places where the film is sped up -- so it looks like they make a 90 degree left at around 150 mph -- and their passing of the green VW Beetle on that hill about 15 times is kind of corny.

Don't get me wrong -- it's still really cool and an entertaining flick -- but there are better executed chases out there. For some really interesting information on the chase, visit http://www.rjsmith.com/bullitt-locations.html

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
diverdan said:

Indeed...Frankenheimer directed car chases like no other.

He also did one of the BMW Films shorts...with a crazy night chase in a M5.

Oh...and I agree with b_a_betterperson...Bulitt is overrated. A good chase scene, and McQueen is very cool...but it's overrated.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Groucho said:
Indeed...Frankenheimer directed car chases like no other.

He also did one of the BMW Films shorts...with a crazy night chase in a M5.

Oh...and I agree with b_a_betterperson...Bulitt is overrated. A good chase scene, and McQueen is very cool...but it's overrated.
:agree

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ALMOST picked the Matrix chase scene too. Even if you stripped out all the CGI, it would be a cool scene.

But, it was a bike, and this is the Best CAR Chase.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ronin, shmonin

Good grief. This poll completely misses the best car chase movies of all time, in spite of the fact that they were made in the same country as your new GTO.

Ever heard of Mad Max?

This movie is mostly high-adrenaline car chases. And until the "Blair Witch" movie came out, it was even the highest profit/cost ratio of any movie made (just a little trivia). I've seen this one so many times I can't even count anymore, and it still gives me goosebumps. "Gone in 60 Seconds?" Please! I think I fell asleep during that one. "Mad Max" cost less than Nicholas Cage's hair stylist charged in his "car movie," and still hits closer to the soul of a real car enthusiast than a spin around the Brickyard with a nude Danica Patrick. (Um, ok, I went a little overboard on that comparison, but I think you get my point.)

Of course, it only gets better in Mad Max 2, a.k.a., The Road Warrior. The entire movie is almost a nonstop car chase scene, and if you don't like it, well, your alleged interest in cool movies, driving, or just cars in general comes into serious question.

My point? If you haven't seen 'em, rent 'em. (Feel free to skip "Thunderdome". It's the Mad Max equivalent of "Attack of the Clones": vapid and pointless.) And if you have seen 'em, rent 'em again. Preferrably on DVD, big screen, with surround sound. It's worth doing.

My opinion is not without trial. I've seen most of the movies listed above - many of them numerous times. But you just stick with what's good. And although I am no Ford Fan by any means, there is no close second to this, my dream car....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that the chase scene from Bullitt probably is overrated, but I voted for it anyway. I suspect it's everyone's favorite because McQueen is in it. I think his chase scene in "The Great Escape" is actually better, although I guess motorcycles don't count.

·
Registered
7 Posts
see who can tie it all together...

Here's an action shot of another cop car from Mad Max. Know what it is? Care to make the connection here?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts