Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Black Jetti with no marking and nice low profile tires did a fly by this morning in a 70MPH zone and I thought, hmmm, time to blow out the soot. Little did I know this thing was going to give me hell all the way to the end. I got on his tail, when the coast cleared we did a 80+ kick. All I could smell was cats and I noticed I had her mashed to the floor. After a sucessful 4th 5th 6th combo and no room to pass, I did have to let off in 6th to avoid pushing. But for what it's worth, this VW was a close match. We dodged two fart cans and lucky for me taching 4500+ I got the jump in 4th. This time it was a 100+ kick. Again, he stuck to me like glue, I may have pulled one car if that. This was the fastest VW I've every seen. After a 145+ pass (last time I looked), I pulled maybe 1 1/2 cars and he was unable to pull back up on my side or get close to my rear. The guy got off and I was unable to even give a thumbs up. WTF? Is there something out there by VW that's damn fast or was he on the bottle? I didn't loose on any kick but I didn't gain any doors either (except after shifting into 6th on the 100+ mph kicks.) He never pull away nor was he able to push or pass. He did stick to me like glue. :shutme
I think it's time for FAST, Headers, and what the hell, a bottle?

·
Registered
730 Posts
r32 is a mean car. i test drove one before purchasing the goat. the 1.8T can be modded to something fierce too although after listening to a co-worker vw's are about as high strung as they come. the r32 is a 3.2 v6 pushing 240 hp and awd. it has the power to spin all fours. i did it on the test drive. but this is a golf that's been souped up not the jetta. jetta vr6 is quick or can be made quick too. same engine as the r32. good competition is hard to find :cheers
http://cars.about.com/od/sportssedans/fr/vwr32_tst.htm

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it was a Jetta. If it had 500 ponies, I'd say I did pretty good. Anything else it was a damn close race. I did come out on top but I got to admit, this thing was faster than any Z car (350 or 28) any Mustang, can't get the Corvette guys to kick. I'm just surprised the car, whatever the hell it was with VW on the front stayed glued up to 140. I think if I had more straightaway I felt like I would have pulled away in 6th but from 3rd to 5th, it was all I could do to stay ahead of him.............................:willy:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've seen some pretty quick VW diesels too. Nothing like what you said, but they've got Liquid Propane injection and a lot of engine work. The right amount of money can make darn near any car fast.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it was a Jetta. If it had 500 ponies, I'd say I did pretty good. Anything else it was a damn close race. I did come out on top but I got to admit, this thing was faster than any Z car (350 or 28) any Mustang, can't get the Corvette guys to kick. I'm just surprised the car, whatever the hell it was with VW on the front stayed glued up to 140. I think if I had more straightaway I felt like I would have pulled away in 6th but from 3rd to 5th, it was all I could do to stay ahead of him.............................:willy:

No stock VW's have 500hp. And no stock VW's are capable of outrunning either a 350Z or a Z-28. If it was a Jetta, it was prolly either a 1.8T or the new 2.0T. I have the same engine in my Audi A4, and they can be made pretty damn fast. It's also possible it was an R32. They're decently quick, but not GTO quick. They have 240hp, but there is aftermarket support for them that make make them very lethal.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
No stock VW's have 500hp. And no stock VW's are capable of outrunning either a 350Z or a Z-28. If it was a Jetta, it was prolly either a 1.8T or the new 2.0T. I have the same engine in my Audi A4, and they can be made pretty damn fast. It's also possible it was an R32. They're decently quick, but not GTO quick. They have 240hp, but there is aftermarket support for them that make make them very lethal.....
so the r32 can't outrun a 350z? i'd say properly driven the r32 would give a ls1 gto a handful. ls2 should walk away as long as there's no heatsoak.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This one had no badges. Stock for stock, he was a good run. One of the longest, most illegal I've been in (including my Suzuki 1100 and that red vette.)

I don't think the VW was stock regardless of how many horses, turbo's, or whatever etc.. etc.. I can't see a turbo 1 point anything running that fast unless he had major mods and on the bottle. I doesn't sound realist that AWD could turn all those axles on 100+ kicks either. Stock Z cars gave up after they were welded at 120. This guy was like a fly buzzing around my rear end and everytime I swatted him he just kept landing on my rear quarter.

In the other hand, I did just filled up, AC was on, and a cup of coffee in the first cup holder (which did cause me to miss 4th once.)

We had three major kicks over 100, he didn't hold on to his doors until maybe 140.

I love the debate, but for what's it's worth, I was very surprised. I'm sure he was laughing his a$$ off thinking I was thinking see ya but beware.

Time to make some changes... :lol:

·
Registered
556 Posts
That vee dub was not stock. Check this site out: http://www.hpamotorsport.com/

These guys do FWD to AWD conversions, Single and Twin Turbo work on the VR6. Their R32 cars are capable of 11's at the track. Other tuners can do some hot stuff too. Beware..........

BTW, you went to 6th on this guy? Isn't that gear too tall for racing?

·
Registered
289 Posts
so the r32 can't outrun a 350z? i'd say properly driven the r32 would give a ls1 gto a handful. ls2 should walk away as long as there's no heatsoak.

Meh, from a dig it would put up a good fight, but assuming equal drivers, it'll still lose in the end. R32's are low 14's w/ maybe a real high 13 possible. So you have LS2 GTO > '07 350Z > LS1 GTO > pre-'07 Z > R32 w/ equal drivers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1
sixth shouldn't be used for anything but fuel economy
6th was the only gear that actually put space between us. Days have changed, I'll use anything I can get my hands on and that day 6th was the only gear that began to put distance on him, glad I bought a M6...:cool

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, you went to 6th on this guy? Isn't that gear too tall for racing?[/quote]

I was afraid to look down when I banged 6th. Had I continued on in 5th, I don't think I would have been able to space us. After my last chance shift into 6th, VW emblem began to get smaller.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
no way it was bottle, not for that long that would cash a bottle out. i love vw's. I love most cars really, prob why I am on a GTO forum and I'm a Z guy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
No doubt it was FI. Did you happen to notice an intercooler at all??

Were you weaving around cars or by yourselves??

Once shifting into an OD gear (5th on the GTO?) its no longer a race, it's a test of top speed, BIG difference. A C6 Z-06 can beat an M6 to about 190mph or so, but the M6 will pull ahead with a top end of around 200mph. That is an example of a race that ends as soon as a car shifts into 5th.

As far as R32s, I've raced a head/cam R32 before and an LS2 GTO can beat it. Not by a lot, but 1-2mph difference in trap speed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No doubt it was FI. Did you happen to notice an intercooler at all??

Were you weaving around cars or by yourselves??

Once shifting into an OD gear (5th on the GTO?) its no longer a race, it's a test of top speed, BIG difference. A C6 Z-06 can beat an M6 to about 190mph or so, but the M6 will pull ahead with a top end of around 200mph. That is an example of a race that ends as soon as a car shifts into 5th.

As far as R32s, I've raced a head/cam R32 before and an LS2 GTO can beat it. Not by a lot, but 1-2mph difference in trap speed.
No I didn't see any intercooler, we only weaved around some muff cans, we were kicking in one lane, I was behind at first and I was backing off because I didn't have an open lane. When traffic cleared I had enough power to get around but I couldn't leave him until I shift in 5th. I agree, after 5th, I needed my specs to see the VW emblem get smaller, but between 3rd and high 5, he stuck to me like glue. It wasn't until 6th that I felt I began to really walk the dog. (Or goat I should say)

I think it would have been a dead heat or 1-2 mph from a dig, I was just surprised. He really surprised me. I could really tell when I got to work and the AC was on, coffee was all over the console. I'm really happy to have 6 bangs, I can see why now when it comes to all out. I just found out the hard way. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts