Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first posted this in the "For Sale" category. Sorry about that. Anyway, here is my post:

I'm trying to buy a 2005 GTO, and never imagined that it would be so difficult. The Dallas area dealers that I have contacted are offering deals such as $700 under MSRP. Who do they think that they are kidding? I guess that I'll just wait a few months, at which point the leftover 2005s will be languishing on their lots.

When I tried to drive one at one dealer, the salesman said that test drives are not permitted until serious negotiations are under way. I ran into the same nonsense when I bought my Corvette a few years back, and simply went from dealer to dealer until I found one who was agreeable. It's still a real hassle, though.

·
Registered
410 Posts
05 GTO sales are close to double the rate of last year so dealers are selling the vehicles for the price they are asking. Many dealers are limiting test drives if they don't know you or think you are not really interested in buying. Have you asked them to go with you?

If you are looking for an A4 check out Durant in Grandbury. GM has given him 2x the GTOs he has asked for and all are A4s. He has red, yellow, and midnight blue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think some guys who are waiting for the same deals the 04s had are gonna be in for a rude awakening. Dealers around here are selling them out quick. Less production, alot of improvements and I think the word is finally getting out about the GTO. 11-12000 cars is not very many. I've had mine for 3 weeks now, and have only seen 2 others (04s) on the road in 2000 miles. I like it that way. I also think resale on this car is gonna be a nice surprise down the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i prefer not to see that many gto's on the road, since i've had mine i've only seen 4, and they have been 04's, mustangs are all over the place, a dime a dozen. but when people see the gto they are still puzzled. they don't know what car it is :) still getting thumbs up just about everyday :party:

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want to get a good deal on a 2005 GTO, you will need to go to the GMBuypower website and email every dealer that has a 05 in stock within driving distance you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't have them call you, get their email quotes first.

Then take the lowest quote and go back to all of the other dealers and ask them if they can't beat it. I'm sure you will find someone that will work out a good deal with you.

I did this with the 04 GTO and the original $28.5k "lowest price" turned into $26k. I was polite but firm in what I wanted and kindly let the dealers know what the other had quoted me.

Only do this if you are serious and will buy that day or within a few. Otherwise they will think you are just screwing with them and won't work with you.

A friend of mine drove 500 miles and got his 2005 GTO 6 speed for $28k through a GM employee discount, a few months ago. All of the other local dealers wanted $33k. If you can't get GM employee discount (most can't), you can at least find a dealer that wants to sell $500 above invoice and then you get $1k off with current incentives.

Taxes will be figured, regardless where you buy, to your home zip code.

·
Registered
53 Posts
GTO_Newbie said:
If you want to get a good deal on a 2005 GTO, you will need to go to the GMBuypower website and email every dealer that has a 05 in stock within driving distance you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't have them call you, get their email quotes first.

Then take the lowest quote and go back to all of the other dealers and ask them if they can't beat it. I'm sure you will find someone that will work out a good deal with you.

I did this with the 04 GTO and the original $28.5k "lowest price" turned into $26k. I was polite but firm in what I wanted and kindly let the dealers know what the other had quoted me.

Only do this if you are serious and will buy that day or within a few. Otherwise they will think you are just screwing with them and won't work with you.

A friend of mine drove 500 miles and got his 2005 GTO 6 speed for $28k through a GM employee discount, a few months ago. All of the other local dealers wanted $33k. If you can't get GM employee discount (most can't), you can at least find a dealer that wants to sell $500 above invoice and then you get $1k off with current incentives.

Taxes will be figured, regardless where you buy, to your home zip code.
What's the GM employee discount, like a grand? If so, I'm leaning towards calling bullsheet on that one. Dealer cost is probably over 30....

·
Registered
58 Posts
GTOfreak said:
What's the GM employee discount, like a grand? If so, I'm leaning towards calling bullsheet on that one. Dealer cost is probably over 30....
You can call whatever you want, but he paid $28k because he works for a supplier for GM and his CEO called GM and got him a great GM employee code to us. He also had GM in the driveway discount. The dealer asked him what he did for GM to get such a deep discount code.

It made me sick because I paid $26k for my 04 a month and half before, wish I could have spent $2k more and gotten a 05! :eek:

Invoice with M12 - 31,191.43 - GM in driveway, - special GM discount = $28k.

·
Registered
237 Posts
GTO_Newbie said:
You can call whatever you want, but he paid $28k because he works for a supplier for GM and his CEO called GM and got him a great GM employee code to us. He also had GM in the driveway discount. The dealer asked him what he did for GM to get such a deep discount code.

It made me sick because I paid $26k for my 04 a month and half before, wish I could have spent $2k more and gotten a 05! :eek:

So if I'm reading your post correclty, the current GM employee discount price on an '05 6M is $28K. Is that without the latest $1K rebate but before the applicable State taxes?

·
Registered
58 Posts
PWR_SHIFT said:
So if I'm reading your post correclty, the current GM employee discount price on an '05 6M is $28K. Is that without the latest $1K rebate but before the applicable State taxes?
No, that was the employee discount code he was given (special because of inside help with his company), gm in driveway, and low starting price the dealer in Kansas gave him a few months ago.

Lately I've seen ads for $500 above invoice minus $1000. It all depends on what dealer you talk and what discounts you qualify for.

·
Registered
136 Posts
m8d2run said:
i prefer not to see that many gto's on the road, since i've had mine i've only seen 4, and they have been 04's, mustangs are all over the place, a dime a dozen. but when people see the gto they are still puzzled. they don't know what car it is :) still getting thumbs up just about everyday :party:

good luck! i live in Walnut Creek, Ca! Hope that we are the only 2 with 05's around here. I have seen a few 04's...

·
Registered
53 Posts
GTO_Newbie said:

My apologies, not intended to offend, and why I made an assumption over how much of a discount he got for being a GM employee. Sounds like it's more than a grand then... :cheers

·
Registered
432 Posts
GTOfreak said:
GMS (Employee Discount) is about 3 to 4,000 off sticker. I went to a dealer yesterday, and he quoted me $29,995 on an 05 A4, which is GMS price - $1000 bonus cash. Sticker on that one was about 34,000. The same dealer wanted $27,995 for a 04 with 6,000 miles. I want one but unfortunately my they tell me my 98 Vette is only good for about $16,000 trade in. I think I'll pay the Vette off before I get the GTO.

·
Registered
237 Posts
GTO_Newbie said:
No, that was the employee discount code he was given (special because of inside help with his company), gm in driveway, and low starting price the dealer in Kansas gave him a few months ago.

Lately I've seen ads for $500 above invoice minus $1000. It all depends on what dealer you talk and what discounts you qualify for.
Is "GM in the driveway" like a "GM loyalty" or something entirely different? It sounds like an employee price for an M6 should currently be about $29.4K (including the new $1K rebate) + taxes. I didn't realize that there are any additonal discounts, even "special" ones, available above the empoyee price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
PWR_SHIFT said:
Is "GM in the driveway" like a "GM loyalty" or something entirely different? It sounds like an employee price for an M6 should currently be about $29.4K (including the new $1K rebate) + taxes. I didn't realize that there are any additonal discounts, even "special" ones, available above the empoyee price.
Yep, loyalty.

Not sure what they are doing this month as this was a few months ago. Apparently there are special GM employee codes that you can get, beyond standard employee pricing. It all depends on who you know and being in the right place. I couldn't believe the price he got it for, I would have had to pay several thousand more.

Also note he had to go about 500 miles away to get it from a dealer who was already offering invoice pricing, then he got the discounts. This saved him a few $k over the same discounts locally at MSRP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.