Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1900 miles on my baby and I have a problem...

My driver side power window light has stopped working. Would this be a warranty issue?

Has anyone torn apart the center-lower console? If so, how is it done?

I assume it's a small light bulb inside or below the switch that has burned out. It also might be that the light is soldered into the switch and it must be replaced as a unit.

Anway, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
SJAndrew said:
I have about 1900 miles on my baby and I have a problem...

My driver side power window light has stopped working. Would this be a warranty issue?

Has anyone torn apart the center-lower console? If so, how is it done?

I assume it's a small light bulb inside or below the switch that has burned out. It also might be that the light is soldered into the switch and it must be replaced as a unit.

Anway, any help is appreciated.
Basically if anything goes wrong with the the car for the first 12mo/12K it's covered. Unless it's abuse or negelct.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I opted for the 6yr 75,000 mile warrenty. I hope I never need to use it but it's there just in case. I would bring it in. It's covered. I'm going to bring my GTO in on Monday just to have them look at something. I have a little piece of plastic hanging about a 16th of an inch just below the GTO on the rear bumper. I think it's like a little access hole cover or something. Bring it in and have it checked.............. :D

·
Registered
937 Posts
05_HUMBLER said:
I opted for the 6yr 75,000 mile warrenty. I hope I never need to use it but it's there just in case. I would bring it in. It's covered. I'm going to bring my GTO in on Monday just to have them look at something. I have a little piece of plastic hanging about a 16th of an inch just below the GTO on the rear bumper. I think it's like a little access hole cover or something. Bring it in and have it checked.............. :D
Are you sure its 6 years? Check, it may be 60/75 or 5 years / 75000 miles. Thats the plan I bought.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Extended Warranties

05_HUMBLER said:
The only problem I have with extended warranties is this: And this happened to me when I purchased all my new vehicles... example: When I got the GTO. I was asked if I wanted the 5 yr extended warranty for I think it was $1200. I said will this warranty kick into effect when my 3 yr expires? No sir it will not, it goes into effect the day you pick your car up. I asked but I already paid for the 3 yr which is already included in the cost of the vehicle. That's correct sir...But mam, in all actuality, I am really getting 2 yrs of extended warranty for the cost of 5... being the first 3 are already paid for in the cost of the new vehicle, correct? Well sir yes, but you cannot purchase the 5 yrs and add it on to the 3 years you already have. I then asked, well then why not let me purchase the 2 years extended warranty at the end of the 3 year bumper to bumper I already paid for, for the prorated cost? Oh sir, I can't do that? I asked Why not? Because sir, you must purchase the extended warranty at delivery. So mam in essence what you are telling me is this: I already have a 3 yr bumper to bumper from GM that the cost has been incorporated into the cost of the vehicle, correct? Yes sir... And now, you want me to re- purchase for an additional $1200, a warranty that covers my car that is already under warranty by GM but will kick into effect in 3 yrs, so I will have the coverage for the 2 years that the car will be out of warranty once the original warranty that came with the car expires? Oh I see what you are saying.... I said good. Now you know why I don't want it. This practice goes on and on..... The dealerships make a killing doing this.....Yes it is nice to have the extended warranty but you are paying twice for a warranty that comes with the car. You forfeit the first 3 years of the extended warranty because the car is already covered, However they are charging you for it. I don't know any dealership that will sell you an extended warranty that will kick into effect AFTER the 3 year bumper to bumper expires. 4 different times I have purchased new vehicles, and each time I went thru the same routine. If you got an extended warranty that will lay dormant for 3 yrs then kick in after the factory warranty expires you're lucky.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
GTO judge said:
The only problem I have with extended warranties is this: And this happened to me when I purchased all my new vehicles... example: When I got the GTO. I was asked if I wanted the 5 yr extended warranty for I think it was $1200. I said will this warranty kick into effect when my 3 yr expires? No sir it will not, it goes into effect the day you pick your car up. I asked but I already paid for the 3 yr which is already included in the cost of the vehicle. That's correct sir...But mam, in all actuality, I am really getting 2 yrs of extended warranty for the cost of 5... being the first 3 are already paid for in the cost of the new vehicle, correct? Well sir yes, but you cannot purchase the 5 yrs and add it on to the 3 years you already have. I then asked, well then why not let me purchase the 2 years extended warranty at the end of the 3 year bumper to bumper I already paid for, for the prorated cost? Oh sir, I can't do that? I asked Why not? Because sir, you must purchase the extended warranty at delivery. So mam in essence what you are telling me is this: I already have a 3 yr bumper to bumper from GM that the cost has been incorporated into the cost of the vehicle, correct? Yes sir... And now, you want me to re- purchase for an additional $1200, a warranty that covers my car that is already under warranty by GM but will kick into effect in 3 yrs, so I will have the coverage for the 2 years that the car will be out of warranty once the original warranty that came with the car expires? Oh I see what you are saying.... I said good. Now you know why I don't want it. This practice goes on and on..... The dealerships make a killing doing this.....Yes it is nice to have the extended warranty but you are paying twice for a warranty that comes with the car. You forfeit the first 3 years of the extended warranty because the car is already covered, However they are charging you for it. I don't know any dealership that will sell you an extended warranty that will kick into effect AFTER the 3 year bumper to bumper expires. 4 different times I have purchased new vehicles, and each time I went thru the same routine. If you got an extended warranty that will lay dormant for 3 yrs then kick in after the factory warranty expires you're lucky.
You are paying to extend your warranty to 5 yrs 70k from 3/36. You are not paying for a 5 yr warranty. So in essence you do not lose any money for the standard warranty plan. It's marketing to say 5/70 because that is how long your car is covered for.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You made me think for a minute there, I double checked and it is 6yrs/75K miles. I dont know if it matters but that's what I got out here in NM.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
fergyflyer said:
You are paying to extend your warranty to 5 yrs 70k from 3/36. You are not paying for a 5 yr warranty. So in essence you do not lose any money for the standard warranty plan. It's marketing to say 5/70 because that is how long your car is covered for.
The deal I was offered did not extend the warranty 5 yrs past the 3/36, that would make it an 8 yr coverage.... I was incorrect in the price of the 5 yr plan, after looking up the offer it was $2,200. The plan I was offered ends in the year 2010. That's 5 years. The factory warranty ends in 2008. From 2008-2010 is when the extended warranty kicks in. Hence actual 2 years of extended coverage but they call it a 5 year extended coverage plan even though when the factory coverage ends, there are 2 yrs remaining on that plan.. The extended warranty starts day 1 of the purchase, but so does the factory warranty. So in my case what it breaks down to is $1100.00 per year for 2 years. I'm curious what did your dealers charge you for extended coverage?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
GTO judge said:
The deal I was offered did not extend the warranty 5 yrs past the 3/36, that would make it an 8 yr coverage.... I was incorrect in the price of the 5 yr plan, after looking up the offer it was $2,200. The plan I was offered ends in the year 2010. That's 5 years. The factory warranty ends in 2008. From 2008-2010 is when the extended warranty kicks in. Hence actual 2 years of extended coverage but they call it a 5 year extended coverage plan even though when the factory coverage ends, there are 2 yrs remaining on that plan.. The extended warranty starts day 1 of the purchase, but so does the factory warranty. So in my case what it breaks down to is $1100.00 per year for 2 years. I'm curious what did your dealers charge you for extended coverage?
I paid full sticker and got a GMPP with a zero deductible 5/70 with it. I think the warranty was (think) $1700.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.