Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone talked to a dealer/mechanic as to what mods can be made to our GTO's without voiding the factory/extended warranty?

Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Chuck,

I just ordered my GTO. Black/black w/M6. The dealership added a Scorpio Ram Air hood and a K&N AirCharger as part of the deal. I confirmed it was covered under their GM warranty program - I even went with the extended for the heck of it. I'm curious, how are you liking your K&N system? Did you add a new hood? What kind of hp increase was advertised to you?

Shawn
(BTW - born in Peoria!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
chagloch said:
Has anyone talked to a dealer/mechanic as to what mods can be made to our GTO's without voiding the factory/extended warranty?

Chuck
In response to that very question, Pontiac motors sent me an email giving the standard "GM does not recommend ANY modifications to it's vehicles, modifications may void certain aspects of your warranty."
So if I take my baby in for service, I'll just replace the factory air box.
The 15 min. it will take me is well worth the insurance !!!
I should add that any mods done by the dealer before purchase are covered under warranty. :cool

·
Registered
590 Posts
There was a TSB out that voided warranty for oil charged air filters.

Seems it's causing SES light and some further problems. I'll try to find it over at the SS Owners Assoc. forum, but I'm on the outs with them since I got out of the SS Camaro. Oh, well :party

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
c141navg8r said:
Hey Chuck,

I just ordered my GTO. Black/black w/M6. The dealership added a Scorpio Ram Air hood and a K&N AirCharger as part of the deal. I confirmed it was covered under their GM warranty program - I even went with the extended for the heck of it. I'm curious, how are you liking your K&N system? Did you add a new hood? What kind of hp increase was advertised to you?

Shawn
(BTW - born in Peoria!)
I find the K&N to be quite nice. I still have a stock hood, as I have special racing stipes that would be a bitch to get replaced if I changed the hood. Not to mention the price of the hood. What I was reading about the K&H hp increase was somewhere in the neighborhood of 15hp at the rear wheel. I am sure that someone who has had their car dynoed can give a more accurate number.

Chuck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ursus said:
In response to that very question, Pontiac motors sent me an email giving the standard "GM does not recommend ANY modifications to it's vehicles, modifications may void certain aspects of your warranty."
So if I take my baby in for service, I'll just replace the factory air box.
The 15 min. it will take me is well worth the insurance !!!
I should add that any mods done by the dealer before purchase are covered under warranty. :cool
That was response is what I was afraid of. I was planning on changing out the air system should I need service.

Chuck

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you change the stock intake they can(and probably will) void the warranty. Just keep the stock unit and replace it when you need warranty work. With the exhaust I understand that you can replace anything from the cats back and still keep the warranty enforced. But if you add something before the cats, like headers, then the warranty will be void. That is a shame especially what I have heard about the 2005. From what I have been told, they had to put restrictive exhaust manifolds to get the new engine to fit. Simply adding headers on the 2005 may give some good HP gains.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's about the same K&N #'s I was quoted in hp - up to 20hp w/ 10 to 15hp on the rear wheel. Not sure how the functional ram air will work - anticipate better performance at higher speeds. Looks awesome though. I'll post picks when able.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my K&N air charger installed last night...it looks good under the hood and sounds great when you step on the gas. It took about an hour and a half to install and wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be.

My understanding is that the air charger will not void the warranty and neither will a cat back exhaust. Doing just about anything else and you're running a risk. If I have to go in for warranty work, I do intend to reinstall the stock program from my Predator but I'm going to chance the K&N charger.

·
Registered
590 Posts
GlennH said:
I got my K&N air charger installed last night...it looks good under the hood and sounds great when you step on the gas. It took about an hour and a half to install and wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be.

My understanding is that the air charger will not void the warranty and neither will a cat back exhaust. Doing just about anything else and you're running a risk. If I have to go in for warranty work, I do intend to reinstall the stock program from my Predator but I'm going to chance the K&N charger.
Who has the K&N kit in STOCK ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tsb

There was a TSB out that voided warranty for oil charged air filters.

Seems it's causing SES light and some further problems.

I think it pertains to over oiled air filters getting oil on the mass air wires causing service engine soon light. Be careful follow directions on re oiling after cleaning.
Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
there is what i believe to be the magnusson/moss act(sp) that prohibits a manufacturer of voiding warranty due to aftermarket parts unless the manufacturer can prove that the modification caused the warranty problem. in other words an aftermarket intake will not void your entire warranty, only what gm could prove that the intake caused to fail. you could install a supercharger and still have warranty on the steering rack or radio for example. a transmission failure however might be debatable. so you can actually do quite a bit, as long as the parts you install don't causse your warranty issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts
GlennH said:
My understanding is that the air charger will not void the warranty and neither will a cat back exhaust.
I've heard that oil soaked air charger filters may void your warranty if the dealership finds one attached. Does anyone know a GM service tech they could call to find out for sure?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts