Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I wanted to say "hello":seeya: I just found this forum this afternoon, and decided to ask for some help.

I have a black 2005 GTO, that is in the shop. On my way to work last Tuesday, I rolled into the throttle to get through a yellow light. After completing the left turn, my car started to run so bad, it stalled. I managed to get it to start, but it was running really bad. I was only a block from work, so I was able to get it there.

After arriving at work, I had one of my coworkers listen to the car. He told me that it sounded like the plugs were bad. He gave me a ride to the parts store, and we picked up some plugs. He suggested a set of NGK TR5's instead of the stock plugs, insisting the were "WAY" better.

When we pulled the stock plugs, there were indeed fouled, so I was relieved. We tossed in the new plugs, and the car still ran really, really bad. It would hardly start. I also could hear a VERY loud ticking noise near the front of the motor on the drivers side.

Once again my coworker offered up his advice, and suggested that I disconnect the battery. He said maybe the computer was acting up, and said that this would reset it. Well, we did that, and no luck:confused

On Wednesday, I called Pontiac roadside assistance to have the car towed to the dealer. After 3 drivers who could not get the car on their flatbeds, and over 4 hours of waiting, I decided to drive that car to dealer. I told Pontiac roadside assistance since they could not get a tow truck that could handle the task, I had no choice. They asked me if I felt safe driving it, and I replied "no", as the motor is making noise. I asked them if they had any other ideas, to which I got a sheepish "NO".

The car ran like total crap on the way to the dealer, and as I got about 2 blocks away, the ticking noise stopped completely, but it never started to run any better.

Today I got a call from the dealer telling me the problem could not be warrantied. As a matter of fact, they led me to believe the were going to void my warranty altogether :eek: You see, I have a couple of mods done to my car. They are as follows:
No Cats
After-market cat back exhaust
Cut air box
Descreend mass air meter

I like my V8 cars to sound like V8 cars. Stock they are so quiet. With this done the car sounded great, and has run good for over 7 months. The dealer told me that the removal of the cats is causing the problem. I don't get it? The car ran fine for so long, and now this is the problem? I think it's weird that the motor had a loud ticking noise from exhaust work (no way it was an exhaust leak, totally different sound). I have had a few Corvette's and Camaro's, and they never gave a me any problems when I did similar work to them.

The dealer told me that the lack of cats, and the mass air screen is causing the car to run rich, and that is why it runs bad. They also said that the MAP sensor was acting weird as well. That is why they won't warranty it.

If my mods are the problem why did it take seven months to show up? Why didn't my other cars ever give me any trouble? Heck, the 01 Z06 I had, never even came with a screen in the mass air meter. Anyone have any ideas? I am in deep here, and can't afford to have a $30,000+ car with no warranty. The dealer did say that if I replaced the cats and screen, they "may" look at the car again and see if they can find anything else wrong.

Please shoot me some advice here:eek:

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been lurking here for a while, but decided to post after reading this. I had a similar problem with my GTO. Mine was totally stock though. My car ran really rough, was hard to start, and had plumes of black smoke shooting out of the exhaust.

One thing that really sticks out for me is that MAP sensor. On my car, they said it was dead, and did did nothing. They replaced all kinds of sensors trying to fix my problems. Finally, the technician finally decided to do a compression test on the motor and found the problem. There were 3 cylinders making no compression. A new motor and like 6 weeks later, my car has never been better. Maybe you should have them do a compression test.

Bob

·
Registered
304 Posts
Broken05 said:
First off, I wanted to say "hello":seeya: I just found this forum this afternoon, and decided to ask for some help.

I have a black 2005 GTO, that is in the shop. On my way to work last Tuesday, I rolled into the throttle to get through a yellow light. After completing the left turn, my car started to run so bad, it stalled. I managed to get it to start, but it was running really bad. I was only a block from work, so I was able to get it there.

After arriving at work, I had one of my coworkers listen to the car. He told me that it sounded like the plugs were bad. He gave me a ride to the parts store, and we picked up some plugs. He suggested a set of NGK TR5's instead of the stock plugs, insisting the were "WAY" better.

When we pulled the stock plugs, there were indeed fouled, so I was relieved. We tossed in the new plugs, and the car still ran really, really bad. It would hardly start. I also could hear a VERY loud ticking noise near the front of the motor on the drivers side.

Once again my coworker offered up his advice, and suggested that I disconnect the battery. He said maybe the computer was acting up, and said that this would reset it. Well, we did that, and no luck:confused

On Wednesday, I called Pontiac roadside assistance to have the car towed to the dealer. After 3 drivers who could not get the car on their flatbeds, and over 4 hours of waiting, I decided to drive that car to dealer. I told Pontiac roadside assistance since they could not get a tow truck that could handle the task, I had no choice. They asked me if I felt safe driving it, and I replied "no", as the motor is making noise. I asked them if they had any other ideas, to which I got a sheepish "NO".

The car ran like total crap on the way to the dealer, and as I got about 2 blocks away, the ticking noise stopped completely, but it never started to run any better.

Today I got a call from the dealer telling me the problem could not be warrantied. As a matter of fact, they led me to believe the were going to void my warranty altogether :eek: You see, I have a couple of mods done to my car. They are as follows:
No Cats
After-market cat back exhaust
Cut air box
Descreend mass air meter

I like my V8 cars to sound like V8 cars. Stock they are so quiet. With this done the car sounded great, and has run good for over 7 months. The dealer told me that the removal of the cats is causing the problem. I don't get it? The car ran fine for so long, and now this is the problem? I think it's weird that the motor had a loud ticking noise from exhaust work (no way it was an exhaust leak, totally different sound). I have had a few Corvette's and Camaro's, and they never gave a me any problems when I did similar work to them.

The dealer told me that the lack of cats, and the mass air screen is causing the car to run rich, and that is why it runs bad. They also said that the MAP sensor was acting weird as well. That is why they won't warranty it.

If my mods are the problem why did it take seven months to show up? Why didn't my other cars ever give me any trouble? Heck, the 01 Z06 I had, never even came with a screen in the mass air meter. Anyone have any ideas? I am in deep here, and can't afford to have a $30,000+ car with no warranty. The dealer did say that if I replaced the cats and screen, they "may" look at the car again and see if they can find anything else wrong.

Please shoot me some advice here:eek:

Thanks,

Tony
Don't feel bad Tony, on my '05 CTS caddy they tried to say my Sirius radio receiver caused the transmission to go out......and I'm not kidding. Had to finally sue GM in federal court under the Magg-Moss Warranty Act to get them to buy it back from us. Unless they can PROVE that your mods caused this problem they have to honor the warranty and fix the car free of charge. Is this the dealer you bought the car from? If not, get it towed to them. They have a vested interest in making you happy. If it is your dealer who's giving you a hard time tell 'em you'll give 'em one chance to fix your car or they'll be talking to your attorney. Mention the Magg-Moss laws and that you are fully aware of your rights and won't put up with their crap........if you need lawyer help drop me a PM and I'll hook you up.

JET

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.