Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all was driving and the water pump went with two belt and most likely the fan. I called up ames and OPGI no one has the 4 inch water pump. I have the early model 1969 Pontiac gto so I have the 4 inch hub. Every where sell the 4.5 inch hub. I was thinking about switch to a electric pump and electric fan what do you think. The mechanic was telling me that the electric pump might get in the way of the power steering belt. I think he just lazy or he does not know how to do it. He was talking about buying the 4.5 and get a machine shop to cut it down to the right size. That just seem like a big bill for a 100 dollar pump. Any help or info would be of much help

Attachments

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Agreed, on a street car stay with the mechanical pump, don't go electric. Remember the old KISS principle....Keep it Simple Stupid. Electric can fail as well as the mechanical and for best results keep it factory.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I went with a "Flow Cooler" pump on my '68 and it works great. They have '69 pumps too, maybe give them a call and see if they have the 4 inch hubs too. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No luck

Update on my search for my water pump. I check every where and could only find 2 . My question is this so far if they have the same matching number it should be the 4 inch hub right?? 97986351 that my cast number and I found 2 that have the same so they should fit right. I did send my water pump to flowkooler to get rebuilt but it going to be a month before I get it back. So should I buy one of the pumps that has the same number as mine or just let the car sit for a month.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts