Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I finally got the alt/pwr steering pulley situation worked out, checked the play on the water pump (less than 300 miles on it), and feel a slight, but very discernable "thunk" when I pull back and forth, up and down on the fan blades. Is this acceptable, or did my pulley fiasco ruin it? If it did, no big deal, I'll just get another pump (with a cast iron impeller- it was a Gates, but looking at it, it was made in you-know-where, so would the bearings be suspect? This pump seems to cool better though, than the (also new) old pump I had on it previously, with the cheesy stamped vanes. (divider plate seemed to fit MUCH nicer with the Gates cast, also). It's a conundrum. Do I get the pump that cools good, but has faulty bearings? (If that actually IS the case. I don't know). Or do I try to find another with the cast iron impeller and good bearings? (again, speculation). This one was hard enough to find. Or am I just overreacting? :willy: Thanks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Left handed muffler bearing

That's what I figured Rukee, but with this vehicle, up is down, left is right. The counter eccentric splorb valves are so much different than anything I've ever encountered! Just making absolutely sure, before I get pump #3. (All less than 300 miles). So, I assume that the pulleys being out of whack contributed to the pumps' early demise? (She didn't start to sing till the end, then only briefly before I corrected it). :( Would this contribute to odd or sporadic cooling issues? Thanks.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Out- of- true belts will put a lot of side-load on a pump bearing, and can cause premature failure. Overtightening the belts will burn up a pump bearing, too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
belt tension

Yes, I figured as much. Thank you gt. What's the best way to determine The proper belt tension on these, short of using a deflection gauge? (I made sure there was a slight deflection with the thumb, as I have for some 30+ years).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts