Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2 cents on wax

I used Maguiars liquid carnuba wax for years and l really liked it but felt it did not last long enough. Last year I switched to turtle wax platinum series ultra gloss (i have a BMW 740 in addition to the GTO) and think it is the best wax made. I just finished waxing the impala blue GTO i bought friday night. the turtle wax looks great and went on easy. don't get it on too thick (a light coat is all you need) and let it dry until you can rub your finger across it and see that it is dry (not smudging in the finger mark). I have read complaints on the forum that the paint on these cars is soft and i do think the clear coat has a tendency to scratch easier than other cars (mine had a few marks on it from sitting at the dealership but they came out with a little polish). make sure the car is clean and dry and in the shade before you wax it and never wax if the paint is too warm to hold your hand on.

BTW - I wash my car with a sponge, a little auto soap and a hose running in front of the sponge as I gently rub the sponge on the paint. I dry it with a bath towel and never use a chamois, which will strip the wax.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The turtle wax sounds like the ticket. I use my black & decker 125mph electric yard blower to dry my cars. This leaves no left over water to drip from the mirrors, trunk, etc... Then I wipe it down with Eagle One Wipe and Shine. This leaves that "just waxed" touch.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Costanza said:
I use my black & decker 125mph electric yard blower to dry my cars.

Thank You for the laugh.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my last car I used a Meguiars clay bar and their Gold Class wax with a buffer.

If you use the clay bar do not drop it. If you do throw it away, it holds dirt like a magnet and will sand your paint.

Once it warms up here I will be using a double coat of the Gold Class

·
Registered
7 Posts
fatgoat04 said:
Anybody strongly feel one way or another about which type of wax to put on the GTO?

i have used this product called 5 star shine which u can find online. if used on a new car its good for 5yrs with a once a year refreshing with the supplied finish. this was used on a 04 acura tl /a-spec 6m/t that i do not own anymore . i just got done treating my 04 gto with the same results. the paint finish is now slippery smooth and will stay that way without the need for anymore applications .check it out its worth it i believe the website is www.5starshine.com. good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
I dont need to spend $60 on car wax. I like washing and waxing my car, and ill stick with buying soap for $10 and wax for $10 a year. And the car likes the quality time i spend rubing her down.

-Frank

·
Registered
590 Posts
hands down, Zaino products.

Used Mequiars unti I tried Zaino, and I'm anal about polish :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a good prewax cleaner from Meguiars "Depends on how dirty the car is on what cleaner I use" and then top it off with a nice coat of Collinite Marque d'Elegance wax. It is a great wax to use on a car that is a daily driver. It really stands up to the elements. I have used several different kinds of waxes and polishes in my past. If I am going to polish and wax the show car I use different products, but if the GTO is your everyday driver then the Collinite Marque d'Elegance wax is great. It is really long lasting too, and goes on easy too.

http://http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm

·
Registered
33 Posts
westell said:

ZAINO is the best "wax" out there. ALthough it technically is a polish.

Easy on and off and lasts a long time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree about the Zaino. I've used alot of different types of waxes and polishes over the years and tried out the whole "Zaino regimen" on my GTO at the recommendation of many on this board and on a VW board I used to frequent and I was shocked at the results. I'm completely sold on their products, it was well worth the money spent!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Groucho said:
I like the Meguiars NXT synthetic. Easy to apply, looks great, lasts a long time.
:agree

I have been using Meguiars products for probably close to 20 years and this to me is their best stuff to date. Dirt does not stick to this stuff and no swirl marks. I wash the goat weekly and for the last three weeks I have been using the NXT spray shine booster. (3.65 a bottle at discount auto parts here, what a bargain!) After washing, you can do the car in about 20 minutes and every week it seems the shine gets brighter and deeper. :D

It also does an outstanding job on dark colors.

·
Registered
432 Posts
westell said:

Man, I swear check out Zaino, once you have seen your car polished with Zaino, you will never put anything else on it. Check it out on the web, for pic. Its the best hands down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Costanza said:
I use my black & decker 125mph electric yard blower to dry my cars. This leaves no left over water to drip from the mirrors, trunk, etc...
I do too...people think I'm nuts, but around the mirrors and rims, it's a must!!
<--also a Zaino Bros user, get about 4-5 coats on there, refracts the light AWESOME!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
radandy said:
I do too...people think I'm nuts, but around the mirrors and rims, it's a must!!
<--also a Zaino Bros user, get about 4-5 coats on there, refracts the light AWESOME!!
ZAINO!!! Especially if you have a black car. My SS is Black as can be and man does it shine after a new coat of Zaino.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with using Zaino. I bought a complete kit for my father for X-mas. I waxed my goat and he waxed his TT ZO6. I will never use anything but Zaino from now on, it's great!! My paint was a little rough and now it is like glass!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those of you who use Zaino products on your GTO, does the GTO have a clear cloat, so we should use Z-2 rather than Z-3?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go with Zaino! I started using it on my Firehawk a few years ago and became a believer. The stuff works great and its easy to maintain. I just did the GTO this past weekend. I spent about 5 or 6 hours on it, but that included the initial wash with Dawn dish washing soap, clay bar, was again with Zaino soap (Z7), drying and using the air compressor around the lights and trim, then Z1 and Z2. The surface of the car is like a piece of glass. I plan on adding a couple more coats of Z2 and then a coat or two of Z5. I even did my girlfriends new CRV. She said it looked better than the day she picked it up at the dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
84racebird said:
Go with Zaino! I started using it on my Firehawk a few years ago and became a believer. The stuff works great and its easy to maintain. I just did the GTO this past weekend. I spent about 5 or 6 hours on it, but that included the initial wash with Dawn dish washing soap, clay bar, was again with Zaino soap (Z7), drying and using the air compressor around the lights and trim, then Z1 and Z2. The surface of the car is like a piece of glass. I plan on adding a couple more coats of Z2 and then a coat or two of Z5. I even did my girlfriends new CRV. She said it looked better than the day she picked it up at the dealer.
You Zaino people are crazy like the name :). I think the wax gets into your brain. My friend uses it on his MR-2 religiously. Looks great if you like that Gran Tursimo 4 look.

Meguires Liquid Glass is good enough for me. His leather conditioner/cleaner in the spray bottle i am adicted to though, makes the leather smell so nice and feel so nice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts