Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where I can look up the weight for an 01 ss camaro? I talked to one of my friends that has one and he told me that it supposedly weighed over 4000 lbs and that didn't sound right to me so I decided to ask my peers.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Before I bought the Goat, I had an 01 Z28 Camaro (which should weigh almost identical to a stock SS). My Camaro--bought used--didn't come with an owner's manual. Online, I kept finding weights of either 3300-3500. Couldn't find the exact weight, but it is somewhere in that range.

·
Registered
455 Posts
CrabhartLSX said:
LOL i just read your post more closely. He actually said over 4000lbs? I wonder how much he thinks chargers weigh.
Hehe, that's something to think of.

I've seen some people really skew numbers on cars when they talk 'em.. I think the worst offenders (that I've seen) have been impact economy car/small car fans (Civic, Integra, etc). I've read some forums where they will inflate the weight of every F-body, Mustang etc (saying a Camaro weights 3900 lbs and stuff) then turn around and say that their stock Accord weights 1600 or some crud.. yeah right 0.o.

Talking cars is fine, and I don't expect people to memorize all these stats (I hardly do myself), but when they are talking online where they can look it up at the time, yet they majorly skew the numbers.. well that leaves me boggled.

(BTW, what I wrote above has nothing to do with the original poster's friend, as I don't know his freind, who may have misheard or been misinformed).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you think the posting of wrong numbers is bad, one of my co-workers has a 1985 nissan pulsar thinking that thinks it is a race car and he will swear to the day he dies that it only weighs 900 lbs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is a decal on the driver's door (or door jam) that will tell you the weight of virtually every GM car made in the last 20 or more years - if you know how to decipher the GVWR data properly. This is the vehicle's weight with a full tank of gas, and maximum cargo/passenger weight. Subtract the passenger/cargo weight and you have the vehicle's weight.

Example
My 2005 GTO: GVWR=4491 lbs, max payload=740 lbs. Curb weight=4491-740=3751 lbs.

My '86 TA weighs 3525, my '94 TA weighs 3559 lbs.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good point, Thorny. I've seen those labels in doors and always noticed the GVWR is much higher than curb weight, but I never thought to subtract the payload (perhaps partially as I've never had a calculator with me and cannot do math in my head worth a darn :D)

·
Registered
136 Posts
socal gto said:
If you think the posting of wrong numbers is bad, one of my co-workers has a 1985 nissan pulsar thinking that thinks it is a race car and he will swear to the day he dies that it only weighs 900 lbs.
According to the internet, it weights 3 times as much as that, does 0-60 in "under fifteen seconds," and has a top speed of 65mph. ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yeah there's nothing saying you have to know everything, but if you talk about something, I'll always expect you to know as much about it as I do.

·
Registered
439 Posts
socal gto said:
I agree. Usually I look something up before I open my big mouth. I try to keep looking like an idiot to a minimum, but sometimes that is pretty hard.
hey that's how you learn. It's exactly how i learned everything i know now, and the most important thing i've learned is that i don't know ****.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its really sad that guy with pulsar is really serious about getting nitrous for his car. He won't listen to any advice given to him because in the condition it is in he will blow the engine. I for one want him to so that I can laugh at him and tell him told you so and then help him find a real car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts