Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally went through with it and bought an '06 GTO brand new off the lot last night! Woohoo! Black w/ red interior, M6. Traded in my Mustang GT and couldn't be happier. The fit and finish is simply amazing for a car in this price range. Acceleration is almost on par with my '03 Z06 and handling is much better than the old stang. Of course I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know, but dammit I'm proud of my new child! Break in period sucks, though. The manual says to keep it under 55 and no engine braking for the first 500. *ugh*

:party:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just picked up the exact same car with the 18" wheel package two weeks ago. Getting my 500 mile oil change today to get all the break-in metals out of the oil and filter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody. As far as the break in goes... What's up with the low speeds and easy treatment recommended by the manual? I've heard a few people say drive it like you intend to so it'll perform like that. Isn't that dangerous?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bought this one already broke in so I can't help ya there!

Just wanted to say-Welcome to our little corner of the world. It is the most awesome and fun place to enjoy a cup of coffee or a beer, light hearted banter and some serious GTO enthusiasm. :cheers

Just becareful where you sit wouldn't want you to hurt that a$$ of yours, Shirley!

Monica

·
Registered
456 Posts
sharkbite1979 said:
I've heard a few people say drive it like you intend to so it'll perform like that. Isn't that dangerous?
Only if you get into a wreck :lol:

Seriously, Drive her hard, but not abusive. I'm over 3000 miles now, and my Goat drives like a dream. I did not baby her :cool

(I've had 3 oil changes - 800-2000-3000)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm not sure what's up with the different break-in times. It seems like there are a lot of different theories out there--some say drive it really hard, some say drive it moderately, and some say baby it.

I ended up compromising between the "baby it" and "moderately", and driving it like normal, conservative around-town driving, not pressing the gas pedal down very far, only pressing it gradually, and trying to keep the RPMs below 2500 for normal driving. There were a few times that I had to accelerate faster because of traffic situations, and I tried to keep it below 3000RPM for those. I did go 70 on the highway however. Then again, if I tried going 55 on the highway I might have gotten run over around here :D But since a lot of my highway driving is going to/from work--well, whenever I go to work in the morning, the highway is usually more of a parking lot, and you rarely get over 30mph :( So there wasn't much driving at 70.

/edit: wrote wrong number

·
Registered
143 Posts
sharkbite1979 said:
I'm in Tyler. There are at least 5 goats driving around here. Appears they're all "old" people and wouldn't get on it if they're lives depended on it.
Hey I live in tyler too. I haven't seen you yet so save those old fart jokes for the old farts! Mine is a 04 yellow jacket M6 with the holden tail lights and silver sport grilles. Catch me if you can?

·
Registered
84 Posts
A senior citizen from the "Old Guy" club responds:
Yeah, I'm old.
Yeah, I have some new kind of car called a GTO.
Yeah, I actually did (sorta) break it in by the rules.
Yeah, I'm gonna put one of those new-fangled Maggie thingamajigs on it.
Yeah, I drive like an old guy.

PS: Come to town and I'll do my best to show you how old guys drive. Bring it on!
Oh, this "Old F*rt" turns all his own wrenches. That included the RipShifter, Royal Purple, Skip eliminator (What's an old guy without a clutch?) and will include the Maggie install.
Someday, you too, will stand in front of a mirror and wonder who the old guy is that's looking back at you. The mind stays the same, its the body that goes away. I can get smarter, i just can't get younger.........Please note the "Old Guy" boat in the avitar. 138 mph on Radar. Twin drag 300's on a 22 Talon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.