Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went Wednesday to look at and test drive an 06 GTO, dealership didnt want me to since "its a high performance car" although I drove the corvette there. When I was leaving salesman asked if I was ready to make a decision and I let them know I had just made the one I needed as I left.

So I call GM, speak to someone who has the sales manager call me back, who said he has a problem with me driving it due to insurance, and accuses me of "acting like a child" after cussing him I call GM back again, who offeres to find me another dealer, but none close have any GTOs, except for one that is a used 04 they want 34k for.

The Dodge place didnt have a problem with me looking at the Charger, but I dont care for some things about it, so I'll just wait now.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Taxman said:
I went Wednesday to look at and test drive an 06 GTO, dealership didnt want me to since "its a high performance car" although I drove the corvette there. When I was leaving salesman asked if I was ready to make a decision and I let them know I had just made the one I needed as I left.

So I call GM, speak to someone who has the sales manager call me back, who said he has a problem with me driving it due to insurance, and accuses me of "acting like a child" after cussing him I call GM back again, who offeres to find me another dealer, but none close have any GTOs, except for one that is a used 04 they want 34k for.

The Dodge place didnt have a problem with me looking at the Charger, but I dont care for some things about it, so I'll just wait now.

where are you located? Come and take one of mine for a day to see if you like it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a feeling you were "stereotyped".

Had that happen to me about 11 years ago when I was in the market for a truck. Went to a Dodge dealership after work (but I had changed for a softball game), and could barely get anyone to talk to me.

Tried to talk price, and the sales guy just sat there smugly with his head cocked like he was totally somewhere else.

I bought a Ford.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dealernut said:
where are you located? Come and take one of mine for a day to see if you like it.

Georgia, Augusta

Might have to think about that on a day off, abit of a drive though.

Still abit upset over it at the moment

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
noz34me said:
I have a feeling you were "stereotyped".

Had that happen to me about 11 years ago when I was in the market for a truck. Went to a Dodge dealership after work (but I had changed for a softball game), and could barely get anyone to talk to me.

Tried to talk price, and the sales guy just sat there smugly with his head cocked like he was totally somewhere else.

I bought a Ford.

Expect it was something like that. In same outfit though, black 5.11 tactical pants, shirt and boots, the saleslady at the Dodge place didnt have a problem with me looking and driving the Datonya Charger, bymyself even

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Taxman said:
Expect it was something like that. In same outfit though, black 5.11 tactical pants, shirt and boots, the saleslady at the Dodge place didnt have a problem with me looking and driving the Datonya Charger, bymyself even
Prequalifying a customer will lose dealerships hundreds of car deals a year. The best example I have ever had of that was a long shoreman with two teeth that made 180,000 in six months. Looked and smelled like a bum, but comes and buys a brand new 50,000 truck every single year.

Well if you want some #'s or need any questions answered then call me and I will help you out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I, too, have been stereotyped by a dealership.... I have the experience posted somewhere in here...

My bad trip was at the local Dodge dealership, while the Pontiac looked at me with blind eyes.... As you might be able to tell, I drive a Pontiac (kinda).

In a twisted kinda way, I like 'testing' salesmen to see if they will sterotype me. I will go in in work clothes, my age (25) helps alot too, and ask to see something, that is just in, or out of my price range and see how the react.
Some people are great, and others, well... they just plain suck :lol

·
Registered
746 Posts
I got stereotyped while looking for my car also. When you're 23 they just assume that you can't afford it and brush you off. Luckily, I finally found a good salesman in Columbus, GA who really worked with me and and gave me a good deal.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This may be a no-no, but I'm gonna blast Courtesy Pontiac in Tampa, FL for the same thing.

I'm 27, make close to six figures a year and could buy a Corvette if I wanted. I chose the goat.

Salesman tells me "we only let poeple who are serious about buying the car take it off the lot" Well duh, why am I asking to drive it? He then offered to let me "sit" in it. At that point my decision was made and I walked. I had my checkbook with me and was ready to deal that day until I was treated like that.

Called the Sales manager and got the same bs story. Gave him a piece of my mind and told him he just lost the sale.

Coincidentally, I had just bought a G6 for my wife a few months earlier at another dealership which was just a bit out of our way. We went back there instead. Our salesman, Brian Stevens, is the nicest guy ever! Threw me the keys to an A4 and let me and the wife take it. When I came back not sold on the auto, he threw me the keys for the M6 I currently own. Big props to James Rivard Pontiac in Brandon.

Wait, it gets even better. I run into a guy at Bob Evans a week later who's EYEING my car. As he rolls by, he leans out the window and says "Nice car, hope you bought it at my dealership" Only a week later and still very pissed, I chuckle a little and ask him what dealership is his. "Courtesy" he says. I bite my tongue and politely tell him that "No, I got it at James Rivard". "Real hard to buy a car at a dealership that won't even let you test drive it"

And this a****** has the NERVE to defend Courtesy's policy. Hello? I HAVE THE CAR SITTING IN FRONT OF YOU. Obviously I could afford it and YOU COULD HAVE had the sale. D***head

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I went to a Chevy dealership to test drive a Silverado SS, they gave me so much crap about why I couldn't drive it, but if I were to sign papers and put a deposit on it, then they would allow it. I told him that was a rediculous policy, signing papers BEFORE a test drive? That would be like getting married without "testing the waters" first. When I went to the Pontiac dealership, they let me test drive the car and then take it for about 90 minutes to go get my deposit check without even checking if I had a license.

·
Registered
214 Posts
For what it is worth - I had the exact opposite experience at Brown Pontiac in Toledo, Oh. I went looking at the GTO, but was not really serious about buying (I get the new car bug every 6 months). At the time I had a 04 Pontiac GTP. The sales guy asked to make a copy of my licence and then flipped me the keys and told me to take it for a spin, but don't run out of gas (it had half a tank). I was gone for about 45 minutes and when I got back I couldn't get the grin off my face. Bought the car that day.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Most of the car buying experiences I have had were great. Thats probably part of the reason why I've bought so many cars. It's just as important to post about good experiences as the bad ones. People need to know where to go and who to avoid. I have no problem traveling 150 miles to Jacksonville next time I need a car or truck that Dealernut sells.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
MeanGoat said:
This may be a no-no, but I'm gonna blast Courtesy Pontiac in Tampa, FL for the same thing.

I'm 27, make close to six figures a year and could buy a Corvette if I wanted. I chose the goat.

Salesman tells me "we only let poeple who are serious about buying the car take it off the lot" Well duh, why am I asking to drive it? He then offered to let me "sit" in it. At that point my decision was made and I walked. I had my checkbook with me and was ready to deal that day until I was treated like that.

Called the Sales manager and got the same bs story. Gave him a piece of my mind and told him he just lost the sale.

Coincidentally, I had just bought a G6 for my wife a few months earlier at another dealership which was just a bit out of our way. We went back there instead. Our salesman, Brian Stevens, is the nicest guy ever! Threw me the keys to an A4 and let me and the wife take it. When I came back not sold on the auto, he threw me the keys for the M6 I currently own. Big props to James Rivard Pontiac in Brandon.

Wait, it gets even better. I run into a guy at Bob Evans a week later who's EYEING my car. As he rolls by, he leans out the window and says "Nice car, hope you bought it at my dealership" Only a week later and still very pissed, I chuckle a little and ask him what dealership is his. "Courtesy" he says. I bite my tongue and politely tell him that "No, I got it at James Rivard". "Real hard to buy a car at a dealership that won't even let you test drive it"

And this a****** has the NERVE to defend Courtesy's policy. Hello? I HAVE THE CAR SITTING IN FRONT OF YOU. Obviously I could afford it and YOU COULD HAVE had the sale. D***head
Courtesy are a bunch of A$$holes. James Rivard are good guys though. Work with them often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.