Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shined up the '67 and went to the Eagle Field Nostalgia Drags today, abut 70 miles away in the middle of the central valley. It's an old WW2 airstrip, and there was a B-25 fly-over, right over the bleachers. Pretty much a time warp...like going back to the '60's. Gassers, straight axles, blown flatheads, slinshot dragsters from the 50's, you name it. Flag start, heads up 1/8 mile racing, with no clocks. Just a fun and casual gearhead event. A ton of nice rides there, but I wanted to post a photo of a '65 Tempest 4 speed car that was well worn, but sported a custom home made 6x2 set up. The owner wasn't around, so no info on how it ran, etc. But interesting. Also, a really clean 4 speed Verdoro Green '68 with a parchment interior. Car was spotless.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
6x2's, sounds like something i would do...:rofl:, damn now i gotta get another holley 600 and custom fab a 3x4 manifold...67's looking good GeeTee, how'd you do?

·
Registered
125 Posts
6x2's, sounds like something i would do...:rofl:, damn now i gotta get another holley 600 and custom fab a 3x4 manifold...67's looking good GeeTee, how'd you do?
I saw a 455 in a '68 Firebird years ago at the track with two 301 Turbo Trans Am turbo set-ups mounted to custom carb adapters on an old Offy 2X4 intake. The rear one was turned backwards so the rear Q jet was facing the firewall. It was a wicked looking set-up, and it was running in the low 11's, so it worked well. I wish I had a camera with me! (Way too long ago for cell phones!)

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I wish I could have seen it and heard it RUN!!! The car was an everyday driver, kinda beat cosmetically, but mechanically all up to snuff. GTO hood and front grilles, but Tempest stainless on the sides, etc. Not really a clone...just a mixing of whatever parts were handy, I guess! I didn't race my car at the track.....2.56 gears make the prospect of a quick 1/8 mile run pretty bleak! Had a lot of fun with a guy driving a '53 Allard that was running a 392 Hemi and a 4 speed on the way home, though!!!!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not admitting to anything, but let's just say that it's a weird and wonderful feeling to pull up abreast of a car that's running pretty close to its limit--flat out , and then stomp on the throttle only to have it kick down into passing gear, and take off like a scalded cat. Bizzare. That car truly starts to shine at autobahn speeds!!! On the track, though, it's probably a 16 second quarter miler!!!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a shot of the B-25 and a DC-4? that a buddy of mine shot with his cell phone..the B-25 was super clean, and both planes were on the deck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
HILLBORN now makes a 8 stack (disguised electronic, NOT mechanical!!) fuel injection set up for the top of an 87-1 Supercharger .........Next years project????? Gotta stimulate the economy!!!:willy::lol:

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Nice looking ride you got there, Jeff.... That '68 is how mine left the factory minus the vinyl top. On that '65, too bad you couldn't track down the owner. Bet it sounded awesome! Hex-power...... Good one....

The DC - 4 is one of the planes they use in Ice Pilots at Buffalo Air, if anyone else watches that show. The B - 25 is very cool. Nothing better than old warbirds..

Thanks for the pix!

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts